August: Part 5

Thursday, August 26, 2004

Dear Friend,

This is extremely out there. I was talking to Greg (Jason's dad) outside today, and he said something that almost knocked me over speechless. He was trimming his hedges, and he asked me if I wanted to help for five bucks. I haven't spoken to Greg in a while, so I wanted to take the time to help.

"Well, Cassie," he said, "I haven't touched base with you in a couple of months. How have you been doing?"

"Wonderful. You?"

"Just fine. I sure hope that ankle of yours isn't acting up again."

I shook my head. "No, it's fine. I'm glad that Tracy and Jason came out to help."

"Me too. I always knew I had amazing kids. How's your family?"

"They're great. Dad's working a lot. Brendan is looking for another job for when he leaves the house in a few months," I replied. "And yours?"

"My wife of mine is all right, sending a hundred emails a day, and that's normal of her..."

I giggled.

"And Tracy is still going to these graduation parties for when school got out, and Jason's playing football like the old days."

I smiled. "Yeah, I heard. Doesn't he have a girlfriend now also?"

"Gee, everyone around town seems to think of them as a dream team."

"What do you think about him dating?" I asked hesitantly.

"My son's growing up and I can't stop him, but I don't quite approve of the girl he's hanging out with. She doesn't seem to like Monique and me, and she's a bit of a pistol. I don't know. Back in my dad when there were girls like that, you were in deep trouble if you didn't get out. Girls like that only stand in the way of what a man could become."

That wasn't too hard to imagine.

"I've always wanted him to be happy, but I guess I always figured it would be with someone that's a lot like you, Cassie."

I smiled, but it was plainly obvious that Jason didn't want me.

Friday, August 27, 2004

Dear Friend,

Today I ran to the lake a few miles down the road (it's also a five minute walk from the school). I decided to take a jog over there for some alone time. However, guess who I run into? I see the familiar dark hair that glistens in heaven's rays itself.

Lydia turned around and saw me, her hair flipping behind her shoulders (which I hate to admit made her look pretty). She stepped towards me, and as she walked she broke the silence with her clear, attractive voice.

"I thought about what you said," she told me as she drew closer.

"And?" I replied.

"You don't understand what love really is; you're too young. How old are you, twelve?"

"Fifteen."

"You're joking, right? You could pass for a fourth grader."

I sighed. "What do you want, Lydia?"

"You insinuated that just because there are things about Jason that get on my nerves, there are red flags."

Well, this early on, shouldn't that be a sign?

I crossed my arms and groaned. "Your point?"

"Flaws are there for fixing. You wouldn't buy a shirt with a stain already on it, would you? If there are things about a guy that completely bother you, you help them see the error of their ways. You grow together. I mean, if you love him, you do that. Besides, if the guy's cute, it's worth the trouble. Attraction speaks louder than people actually say." She continued, "That's enough to make the two of you happy - looks and security. No matter what they tell you. They only tell you it doesn't work because who wants to read that story? It's not romantic. But that's life. And love isn't fairytales. And another thing, Jason and I are perfect for each other. He deserves someone like me. I'm gorgeous, I come from wealth, I've got a good life ahead of me - I got it all, hon. Face it, it's destiny. Fate. Love."