May: Part 6

Sunday, May 8, 2005

Dear Friend,

I'm so deliriously happy I could melt into a puddle. I'm still worn out from all that dancing yesterday, so in my quiet and sleepy stupor I vegged on the couch (and I may have slept in my hairstyle...it was too pretty to take down and have everything be all over) with Jeremy and watched TV and ate some popcorn with him. He was talking about how excited he is for summer. I'm excited too. It'll be nice to have a break from school and spend a nice summer with Jason. He'll be busy with football training the last couple of weeks, but it'll be awesome. I'll also have more time with my parents and friends and get the last off my driving experience in before I take the test to get my driver's license on my sixteenth birthday! At least that's my hope.

Jason is at his last tutoring session today, and Chloe has a softball game tonight that I'm going to. It's been a perfect weekend.

Monday, May 9, 2005

Dear Friend,

My friends were lingering on my every word at lunch. They wanted every detail I could muster about the prom and how everything played out with Jason.

"And then when he took me home, he brushed hair out of my face, told me how serious he felt about me and how special I was. He said he had a great time and he felt really good about us. And...that the place he and I are at is giving him the feeling as if we already had sex."

Renee made a face of approval. "Good line, Conners."

"That's so romantic," Chloe gushed.

"That's awesome about Kayla Preston," Tessa added. "I was hoping it might be Kate Larson because she's the only one of Lydia's popular friends that's somewhat nice to everybody. But I'm happy it was Kayla! Good for her!"

"Kate won homecoming, I guess," I remembered aloud. "Unlikely she was going to take prom queen too."

"Well, at any rate, we are really happy for you, Cassie," Tessa said.

"Yeah," Renee concurred, hugging me. "It's awesome that you finally got your dream guy. You talked about him to us with such conviction and passion that I thought, there's no way it's just her if she's so sure there could be something there."

We were all gathered outside under a tree sitting at a picnic table. It was a beautiful, perfect spring day and the fresh air felt awesome.

"You guys getting a lot of homework today?" I asked.

"Not really. Monday's not too bad with that," Chloe answered.

The others agreed.

"Good," I said. "It's gorgeous out. As soon as school lets out, we should all go rollerblading at the park. You guys in?"

So here we are, telling funny stories and happily rollerblading in the setting sun. The rays feel wonderfully warm on my skin, the salty air is whipping in my hair, and I hear the voices of my friends like wind chimes around me. And for this moment I am not a girlfriend, a daughter, an honor student, a future adult citizen or any other label that defines me. I am nothing other than fifteen and with my girlfriends being young and free and happy in Lakota, California.

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Dear Friend,

Miss Burgess motioned for me to approach her desk after the final bell today, so I curiously consented.

"Yes, Miss Burgess?" I asked, juggling some homework in my hands.

"Cassie, did you know this was my first year teaching?"

"I hadn't." I knew she looked young (like twenty-five), but I hadn't assumed this was her first year teaching. She seemed skilled, confident, experienced.

She nodded that it was true. "When I was assigned to Lakota, my family and friends were supportive, but not in the way I hoped. Everyone knew what kind of amazing academics this school had - that each teacher teaches every subject and the school was rich with great programs and preppy families. They told me I had too kind of a heart to excel and that my students were going to be ungrateful, disruptive insects that would eat me alive. They set me up for heartache...to fail."

"I'm sorry, that must have been awful," I said softly.

"I was upset with them, but I understand why they did it. They didn't want to see me get hurt. But here's why I bring this up." She let out a breath. "Cassie, you have been an ideal student. You show up on time, you listen, you learn, you study hard. I can tell by your work that you and Harriet Stanley have been working together."

"Oh, Miss Burgess!" I exclaimed, eyes wide. "I promise you that we haven't been copying each other's work. We just bounce ideas off each other and study together, I swear!"

She held up a hand. "I know, I know, Cassie. I think it's wonderful that the two of you make each other's already great talent better. The truth is, Harriet is a fantastic student, so much potential, and to be honest, I'm not sure she has any other friends. I never see her interact with any of the other students in this class."

I glanced at the floor with a small smile. "You don't say."

"You've been good for each other. And the two of you have been good for me. The two of you are why I became a teacher."

"Smart kids?"

"No. Kids that want to try. Kids that reach inside for their potential and grow. If you and Harriet were as dumb as buckets of rocks but desperately studied and sought knowledge from this classroom, I would be so proud and just as passionate about what I do. Cassie, I don't look solely at A's or F's. You have the kind of drive that colleges want."

My eyes brightened. "Really?"

"Really. And when it's time for you and Miss Stanley to apply to schools, I will gladly write letters of recommendation for you."

I smiled and hugged my teacher, to her startled bewilderment. "Thank you, Miss Burgess. I'm so glad you were assigned to be my teacher."

As she left my embrace, she smiled too. "You have made me proud as an educator."

I left the class feeling as though I'd gained more than an educator. Miss Burgess had been a mentor at times; a motivator. I have no doubt when I look back at pivotal moments in my life that I will remember her.