Epilogue: Part 7

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 (continued)

Dear Friend,

The following morning, my family and I walked into the restaurant and immediately Tracy ran over and hugged me tight. It was the first time I'd seen her since coming home.

"I'm so sorry, I've been so busy planning this wedding with Cal that I haven't even stopped by to see you. How are you?" Tracy asked, beaming.

"Good. You look fantastic," I told her. "Congratulations again."

She rolled her eyes. "Please. My wedding is taking a backseat to the fact that everyone is going to be staring at big-time NFL player Jason standing up as a groomsman. I'll be the one nobody looks at." But I could tell she was teasing. She was thrilled her brother could put off his busy schedule to be present for her big day.

"I'm excited to meet Cal," I said. "Is he here?"

She shook her head. "He had to be at work, but you'll meet him at the rehearsal dinner tomorrow. You're coming, right?"

"For you, I will," I said with a smile. Looks like I was going to see Jason for the next three days straight. Bring on the awkward.

"Cassie, you're here."

Tingles ran up my spine. I turned at the sound of his voice. Oh no, he looked good. Strong chest, groomed hair, clean-shaven - just like a pro football player should. But he was wearing one of his old shirts from high school like he was any regular guy. That just made him more attractive. God, help me.

Tracy smiled secretly and took her cue to go sit with her families.

"Jason..." I said, not sure what else to add. I tucked hair behind my ear and stood up straight, finding my confidence.

"I wasn't sure you were going to be able to make it," he said, giving me a hug. "How are you?"

"I...I'm good," I answered, hating that he was wearing cologne. "I actually live here now."

His eyebrows rose. "Really?"

I nodded. "Just got back."

"Oh," he said. "Baltimore not doing it for you anymore?" When he realized that might've sounded cold, he backtracked, "I mean, were you ready for warmer weather?"

I smiled. "Something like that."

He put his hands in his pockets. "That's too bad. You were sort of in my neck of the woods. We would've driven out to Punxsutawney to see the groundhog."

I laughed lightheartedly, but I couldn't mistake the disappointment that seemed to be in his eyes. It seemed like we were always missing each other location-wise.

"It's good to see you," I said, wishing I had something clever to say when he was trying to be joking with me like the old days.

"You too," he said softly. We looked at each other without a word for no less than thirty seconds. It didn't seem like he was making conversation with me to try and be polite. Something was in the air; I just couldn't quite put my finger on what. Were we finally making progress into being the friends we used to be?

"Come on, you two," Greg called. "Time to order."

Monique glared at him for the interruption, but Greg was wonderfully oblivious. Monique was never happy about our breakup. She and my mom didn't hide very well that they wished for us to reunite.

Jason looked over at our families, then back at me. "Listen, I want to catch up. Could we find the time to do that?"

My heart skipped as I looked at his face. He looked so genuine. He really wanted to see me. "Y-yes," I answered.

He smiled. "Great." He grabbed my hand and a pen from his back pocket and scribbled. "This is my number. Call me tonight and we'll set something up for tomorrow. Go somewhere where I won't get recognized so we can touch base."

"You're giving me your number?" I asked, looking at the digits. "Isn't that against the rules from your manager or something? I could stalk you, you know."

He laughed. "It would be an honor to be stalked by you, Cassie."

I smiled.

"Come on, let's go order pancakes or something."

I laughed. "I'm sure your head coach would love that."

He groaned. "No more talk about football. Please. I want to hear all about your college graduation, Miss Big-Time Writer."

Oh, how disappointed in me he'd be when he found out I had no home of my own, no job prospects, and no mapped out future. He'd wonder what in the world he was doing his limited time with a low-life like me.

That night, I looked up his number I had programmed into my cell and called him up.

"Hello?" he answered.

I breathed dramatically heavy and asked creepily, "What are you wearing?"

He burst out laughing. "Hey, stalker."

I was smiling. I couldn't help it. "Hi."

"I'm glad you called. I was thinking we could get together before the rehearsal tomorrow. You want to meet at that coffee house in that weird part of town no one goes to?"

I laughed. "Sure. That sounds good."

I could hear the smile in his voice. "Great. I'll pick you up? Eight AM?"

"Sure. ...There won't be a limo, will there?"

He laughed. "No. I'm trying to be inconspicuous, remember?"

The next morning, I didn't try so hard to look good. I was only catching up with an old friend. He was still my ex, and he was with someone else. So I put on a light blue t-shirt, threw my hair back in a messy ponytail and wore torn-knee jeans. It was too early in the morning to try. I yawned as I grabbed my purse and stepped onto my porch.

Jason was approaching me and I noticed what he drove here.

"You still have it?" I asked, looking at his Jeep.

He nodded. "Yep. It's still purring. It's got some miles on it, but my parents held onto it for me. You ready to go?"

I smiled bravely and walked over to his Jeep, trying very hard not to think about all the memories we shared with this vehicle.

TO BE CONTINUED