Epilogue: Part 1

Hello, it's me. I was wondering if after all these years you'd like to meet to go over everything. They say that time's supposed to heal you, but I ain't done much healing. Hello, can you hear me? I'm in California dreaming about who we used to be when we were younger and free. I've forgotten how it felt before the world fell at our feet.  - Adele

_________

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Dear Friend,

The sunlight is pouring through my window-paned porch in an orange hue. The rocking chair beneath me creaks as I write, my gloved hand holding a mug of coffee. I sip in silence as I watch the light say hello to my neighborhood. It's chilly this morning.

It's ten years later. And I don't live in California. I suppose you're wondering what happened to me; what happened to all of us. But first I would just like to point out...I picked up this journal a couple days ago and blew the dust off of it. I was cleaning out stuff in the attic to create space and find things to donate (I'll explain that later), and opened this box and froze when I saw you. It'd been years since I flipped your gloss pages. I remembered how good you'd been to me when I started high school; how you listened. I figured you deserved an ending. For two days I read over you, wiping watery eyes as I remembered it all from a young girl's perspective. My naive, young, hopeful heart was really a laughable thing, yet beautiful. I miss her. And I missed you. My husband caught me looking at you yesterday and asked, "What is that thing?" I didn't tell him. Our long history would take too long to explain to him. Yes, I'm married now. Seriously, I'll explain everything, I promise. We got a lot of ground to cover.

TO BE CONTINUED