Chapter 43: Still Oblivious

I stood in the doorframe of Patricks room, it was early in the morning and he was still asleep. Some color had returned to his lips and he was no longer a sick pale color. The guys stayed with me for most of the night while we waited to make sure everything was okay with Pat.

Since late last night i keep trying to form what am I going to tell pat and how. How can I tell someone who worked all their life to be where they aren't that they can't play? He can't play till February, not only does it stop him from playing the game but breaking records to. There was no trophy waiting for him this year. There was no scoring title either. There was nothing but rehabilitation and hoping to be strong enough for the playoffs.

Pat Sr patted my shoulder and reminded me that he would be okay.

"I'm gonna go get a coffee from the cafe, want anything?" He questions

"No thank you I'm good" I smile

Soon Pat began to stir in his bed and moan in pain for he hadn't taken pain killers since last night, I sat in the seat at the foot of the hospital bed and looked at Pat. He mumbled a little but before his eyes began to open.

"Alyssa" he calls out and I rush over to the side of the bed.

"I'm right here Par" I say. He slowly starts to come out of his slumber.

"Where am I? What happen?" He says groggy as he scratches the back of his head

" Were at the hospital pat" I say with a voice crack, I just didn't have the heart to tell him.

"why"He try's to sit up but fails.

"L-last night you went to block a slap shot and took it right to the knee

"Why am I here tho?"

"The slapshot shattered your knee cap, we brought you in for emergency surgery to repair it"

"Who won the game?"

"The hawks, on a Tazer goal" I chuckled with glassy eyes, he was injured and all he wanted to know is if they had won.

"So what's the injury time?" He looks at me with those blue puppy eyes.

"Uh 6-12 weeks with a brace"

"Not to bad"

"But about a month of rehabilitation, possibly longer"

"Oh" he says quietly

Patrick's POV

I refused to break down in front of Alyssa, I can't make her feel bad. I'm the idiot that should've just listened to her. If I had listened to her I wouldn't be here in a cast with a million wires being poked into me every which way. The pain in my leg was immense, I craved pain killers right now.

"Are you okay Pat?" Alyssa questioned snapping me out of my daze

"My leg hurts" I groaned

"They're gonna bring you pain killers" she than kisses my lips softly. I was addicted to the taste of them. She than laid down next to me, her warm body on my side and her head rested on my chest. I ran my fingers through her hair, using my free hand.

"I love you Patrick" she whispers

"Lyss don't say that"

"No Patrick, I love you. Pat I love you so so much" we layed there in that hospital bed, the whole world seemed to have gone silent.

"I love you to" I whisper back "I love you to"

*

Pat was finally coming home, we had decided that I would stay in the guest room in his apartment so I didn't have to continually take the elevator. I was excited to not have to come back to this dreaded, horribly smelling, hospital. Patrick wears this black brace that went from mid thigh down to mid calf, it stopped his leg from extending or bending to much. Pat was to only take it off to change his pants and underwear basically. I don't know how he's going to take a shower because he can not wet the stitches but that was another story on its own.

Pats hair was a mess for he hasn't showered in two days and he had this horrible stench much like his hockey bag. But my disheveled pat was still handsome as ever. The nurses helped him into a wheelchair and wheeled him out to the car where they helped him into the passenger seat.

"Are happy to go home?" I ask him as I start the car

"Yea" he smiles. It's been weird lately, I don't think Patrick understands he basically won't be playing all season. He's been quiet and dazed off a lot.

"I can't wait for you to take a shower" I giggle

"I know, I smell" he chuckles

Later that night we were able to get pat in the shower while keeping his stitches dry. We both where lying in his bed, my head rested on his chest while we watched school of rock, one of my favorite movies. Once the movie was over I began to get out of bed, Pat was already half asleep. I tried not to wake him but as I lifted my body weight off the bed he turned and looked at me.

"Alyssa stay"

"Are you sure Pat?" He nods and I lay back down and pull the covers over us. Pat lies flat on his back and I snuggle into his side. His arm pulls me in and I rest my head down on his chest.

"Goodnight Alyssa" he breathes heavily

"Goodnight Pat"