Chapter 40: What's love?

The hockey season was one of the most stressful times of the year. I loved the game but it made Patrick and I very distant. My job required me to work with everyone on the team so I can't give Patrick my attention all the time and by the time we return to the apartment complex he's beat and is ready for bed. After that whole scene at the game it has created some tension. I feel so distant from pat. We eat together once in a whole but we don't have quality time together anymore.

Today, our 9th game of the season I was so stressed. Pat was complaining a lot about his knee in the morning. He has been playing with a brace on and I can tell he isn't playing to his full potential.

"I think you need to be scratched tonight"

"No no no, that's not an option! you think I work this hard to be scratched"

He yelled at me, I could tell he was frustrated with himself.

"Pat coach and I know you better than you know yourself! You are not 100% I can tell you're in pain when you play! You can not avoid the doctor any longer Pat, something is wrong and you are just gonna risk getting yourself injured. Sit this game out and take time to recover before you are out even longer. Missing one game is nothing compared to missing 7"

"I will not sit out"

"I don't get why you have to be so fucking stubborn!" I yell at him. I quickly park the car.

I ignore him and head straight to the weight room where Shaw was waiting for me.

"What do you want to squat?"

"Let's start with 150" he says as ties his shoe lace. After training with Andrew the door swings open and in comes Patrick in his workout clothes a his brace. He waits in the corner until I dismiss Andrew.

"Babe I'm sorry for blowing up at you in the car"

"Pat I understand you're frustrated with yourself. I just want the best for you"

"I know babe but being scratched isn't an option" he says as he pulls me into a right hug and kisses my head. His hand rubs my back before letting me go.

"Let's squat?" he smiles

"Light, don't over work the knee" I smile back.

"This probably isn't the most romantic place to tell you this" he pauses and gazes at the floor "But I love you Alyssa" the words escape his mouth and I fell like I've just sunk 50 feet under the waves and I can't swim. I couldn't process what he was saying to me. He gazed at me and looked hurt by my lack of expression. I couldn't think of any words to say. Ashamed, I turn and ran out of the weight room. I lock myself in a storage closet where I sink to my knees on the floor. I pulled my knees to my chest, buried my face and cried. Pat probably hated me now, he hates me.

How could I freeze up like that? He's my boyfriend I'm suppose to say I love him. I didn't know what was wrong. "Why couldn't I just say it back" I mumble to myself than jerk my head backwards, slamming it against the door. "I'm so fucking stupid" I mumbled to myself

"Alyssa? Alyssa?" Patrick calls, he's standing out side the door.

"Please go away!"

"No Alyssa please come out" he pleads

"No" I cry harder into my hands

"Please lave me alone"

"Alyssa" he weeps. Within seconds the door is ripped out and Pat his pulling me into his chest where I cry.

"You hate me" I mumble

"No no baby I don't" he says as he kisses my head than rests his chin on it. He picks me up, my legs wrap around him and I bury me face into the crock of his neck.

"Babe can we talk?" he questions while he walks into the storage room closet and closes the door behind us.

"Am I moving to fast for you?"

"Pat you caught me so off guard when you said that"

"Do.... You not feel the same way?"

"Pat I... I don't know what it feels like to love another person. I had said it to David before and it was to please him. I don't want to say something like that if I don't know if that's truly how I feel. now I'm not saying that I don't love you it's just I've never felt it before.... I don't know what love feels like" I cry

"Babe it's okay" he cradles me "baby steps" I hear him chuckle "maybe we need to take things a bit slower"

I nod in agreement

"Your so perfect" I whisper to him as I stare into his baby blue eyes that make me melt every time. He kisses me gently and I feel electricity, his lips were like a drug and I was addicted.

"Are we good?" he whispers

"yes" I smiles with a lip bite

"Maybe we should get out of the closet before they come looking for us" he chuckles

Authors note:

I can not wait to get you the next update! I'm so excited for the next chapter. This book is going to be ending a lot quicker than you think but no fear I'm planning a sequel because I'm so in love with Patrick and Alyssa's characters!