Chapter 47: Long Road to Recovery

It was beautiful month of December. Halloween was spent at Jonathan's house with me dressed as a nurse and Patrick the patient. Thanksgiving was spent at my sisters house with Corey who has gotten so big.

But today was a big day, for today marked 6 weeks and that meant Patrick didn't need to wear the brace any longer. We headed to the doctors office early that morning, a very eager Patrick. Everything was healing great.

"Mr.Kane we can remove the brace today but however we do recommend the sock brace for any physical therapy and just to wear to alleviate any discomfort you might have. I can clear you for the physical therapy, nothing more. We do recommend to stay off of it as much, slowly begin to put pressure on it.After a month come back and see me and we can see what to do about getting you back on the ice." smiled the doctor.

They removed the brace and removed the gauze that kept everything clean. He than removed the remaining stitches and cleaned the area.

"That's gonna make a sick scar" laughs Patrick

"Stitches get bitches!" I giggle

"That's your motto?"

"Yep" I laugh

Once we left the doctors office Pat was infatuated with his leg and the fact that he no longer had to wear a brace.

"Take an easy tonight" I say as I turn on my left blinker

"I know, how about we go watch movies all night"

*

"Come on Pat" I say as I hit him with the pillow

"5 more minutes" he mumbles

"Pat we have therapy in 20 minutes!" I hit him again

"Okay I'm up" he mumbles

"I laid your clothes out,try hurry up and change"

I than left to the kitchen where I made Pat a protein shake. After 20 minutes, Patrick comes out ready to go.

"Long road to recovery starts today!"

"I know, I know" he mumbles as he sips the shake.

"Be excited, soon enough you get to be back on the ice!"

"They don't need me anyway" he mumbles under his breath

"Pat, how could you say that?"

"Look at them, they're playing great. They don't miss me" he sighs

"Patrick don't say that. Do you not see every game people dawn your jersey. The team misses you, Chicago misses you"

"I guess"

Once we arrive at the clinic Pat and I head to the water treadmill.

"We wanna take an easy so let's stretch first than you can start walking on the treadmill" I say

After the water treadmill and a few good stretches we moved to the treadmill. Pat put on his soft brace and black hawks nikes. I took the treadmill next to his and we began walking at a slow pace. We spent half the day at the clinic than later that night we returned to the House to get ready for the game.

Pat sported a black jacket and black Hawks beanie. I wore a matching beanie but red with the Hawks logo and patrick's shirsey.

"This is weird" says Patrick "you know, going to watch the game and not play"

"I know, it's weird for me to not be working but I'm glad I took the night off" I say as I pull into a parking spot for the game.

"Are you sure you don't wanna sit in the press box? We'll have privacy there"

"No, I wanna watch the game like normal fans. It will be nice for a change"

We make our way in through the fan entrance, Patrick goes unnoticed being that he tucked all his hair into his beanie and pulled the jacket zipper all the way up. As for me I just pulled my leather jacket over my Kane shirt.

"We're sitting right behind the bench" I chuckle as we take our seats

"How long do you think it will take before the guys notice us?"

"I don't know, we missed warmups" I frown.

Soon enough the game against Calgary, the first home game after the 4 game road trip, is underway. It was only after the first shift that Sharp was coming over the bench when he saw Patrick. At first he would turn his head on the bench and glance at us. After a last glance Patrick winked at sharp and he was sure it was us. Once he back from another shift he whispered into Shaw's ear causing him to turn around and glance at us. It wasn't long until everyone on the bench at turned to take a glance at us.

Durning intermission Pat and I had discussed some Christmas plans.

"Are you sure you want to come to buffalo?" he questions

"Patrick I really wanna go"

"When should we leave?"

"The 23rd, I'll take off than come back the 27th? I think it's an away game"

"We'll book the flight when we get home" he giggled than kisses me softly.

The lady behinds us kindly taps us and points to the jumbotron. Pat's and I's face was plastered on it. The words "look whose here!" where blinking. The fans erupted with cheers and standing ovation. Patrick stood up and waved to everyone before sitting back down in his seat. The words quickly changed to kiss cam and Pat awkwardly looked at me before softly kissing my lips causing the fans to cheer and clap.

"And you said they didn't miss you" I smile

After the game, which we won 4-1 courtesy of Jon (2), Shaw and Keith, Pat and I waited for the United Center to completely empty out before we headed to the locker room. Patrick entered the room and it was like everyone faces had lit up.

"Peaks!" yells Jonny as he runs over to Patrick and bear hugs him

"Bro you saw me a week ago" chuckles Pat as he attempts to get Jon off him.

"Where's the brace?" questions Seabrook.

"Got it off two days ago"

"So what's going on, when do you get back on the ice?"

"A month of rehabilitation first than I go back to the doctors and we see what happens than"

"Long road to recovery" says Coach Q as he enters the locker room.

"Where working on it" I joke at him