Chapter 26: Oh Chicago

I can't believe it, Patrick Kane convinced me to move back to Chicago. Had I not learned from David? Our relationship was so toxic, yet I couldn't get away. But with Patrick, it's just different. There's a boy locked up inside his drunk, tough boy suit, that's the boy in madly in love with.

My house in LA, would stay unfurnished and empty. My clothes were on their way back to Gab's house for now, and I would still need to go furniture shopping for my new apartment which I haven't found yet.

Since Patrick got my job transferred, again, he payed to have all my stuff shipped. As for where I was living, that was still a question mark.

I finished packing my carry on, when my phone began buzzing. It lit up to Patricks profile picture.

"Hello?" I said as placed the phone in between my shoulder and my ear, squeezing them together so I could use my hands to zipper the bag.

"Your not gonna believe this but I found the perfect apartment, two bedrooms, full bath and kithen, with a living room" I could invison him smiling

"Where?" I said over excitedly

"You'll uh have to see it when you get here, I'll see you soon" he than hung up the phone.

The flight there was rather unpleasent, considering that a small 4 year old behind me kept kicking my seat and the oversized man next to me began snorring. As i got off the plane, which i was so thankful to do, I wraped a scarf around my neck. I was greeted by the cold chicago air as soon as i took a step outside. I had missed it so much, i had actually missed my fingers freezing and my nose turning bright red from the cold, i actually missed it. I waited at the the curb, my small dufflebag laid on the floor next to me as i wathced Patrick roll up in his red and black camero.

"Are you ready to see the apartment?" he said as he leaned over and opened the passanger door.

"I guess" i said as i threw my bag in the back seat, on top of Patrick's sticks.

"You dont seem so excited" He chuckled "I bet you miss LA already, its a little below freezing out today" he said

"I dont, i acutally missed the cold.. The sun is boring" I laughed. The car ride was quiet, but i opened my mouth when we pulled up to Patrick's apartment complex.

"Why are we here?" I said as Patrick handed his keys to the door man so they could park his car.

"You'll see" he smirked. I followed closely behind him as he approached the receptionist.

"Hi Mr.Kane" she smiled as she typed on her laptop "I'm here for the appointment" Patrick said

"Okay, right this way" she smiled again.

Patrick and I walked behind her and I looked at him with fire in my eyes.

"Are you crazy?!" I screamed whispered at him

"What are you talking about?"

"I can't afford a glass of water in this place let alone an apartment!"

"Trust me okay?"

I rolled my eyes at him as we got into the elevator. The only floor I had been on was Patricks, which was two doors because both apartments were really penthouses. Most of the baseball players and football players of Chicago live in the building but with the crazy sports schedules, they're rarely here. Once the door opened, I was a little relieved to see more than one door on this floor.

The lady lead us to the last door at the end of the hallway, she quickly unlocked it and I was speechless. The apartment had massive windows with a sick view of Chicago, much like Kane's. The kitchen was brand new and the whole apartment was fully furnished.

"These are our smallest apartments in the building, have a look around" smiled the lady

"These are small" mumbled Patrick. To me it was huge, maybe because I've always lived in ratty old apartment buildings. I was madly in love with an apartment I knew I could never afford. Once Patrick and I looked around we met with the lady at the front door.

"How about we discuss the lease and prices over a nice dinner downstairs?" she asked

"That sounds great, we'll meet you down there in 20 minutes" quickly said Patrick.

He than grabbed my wrist and quickly dragged me into the elevator and pushed the button to his floor.

"Why do we need 20 minutes?" I questioned

"Because walking around in those kind of clothes is fine but it's not going to work for dinner here" He referred to my comfortable choice of leggings and a sweater.

"What might I wear Mr.Kane" I said mockingly "Last time I checked, my clothes were still in transit"

"Follow me" he said at the exact same time we reached his floor.

He quickly unlocked the door and headed into the guest bedroom. He came out rather quickly, holding black heels in one hand and a black dress in the other.

"Please tell me you can fit in a size 6 shoe" he laughed

"I can, but where did you get these" I raised my eyebrows while I waited for a response.

"My sisters always leave their stuff here, now quickly change"

By the end of the night I had landed a new apartment. Patrick Kane was quiet the business man. With the paycheck from the kings as my down payment and the money I would now be making as assistant strength and conditioning coach, I could more than afford the place.

"So I can come over for dinner now?" asked Patrick as he leaned on the door frame, his hands stuck in his tiny front pockets.

"You wish Kane" I said as I unlocked the door.

"You have to promise me one dinner since I did help you find this apartment" he laughed

"Fine Kane, one dinner. That's all."

"Oh Alyssa" he laughed

"Patrick go home" I joked, trying to shut the door on him.

"You mean upstairs?"

"Night Patrick" I than closed my door and went to test out my new bed.

*

"How was your night of sleep?" asked Patrick as he stepped onto the ice of the United Center. My new job allowed me to be part of morning skate rather than just watching it from the seats or press box.

"It was amazing" I joked

"I left you a little something in your office, you can check it after practice" he smirked than left. This Patrick, the less alcoholic, think-of-others-to Patrick was really growing on me. I was still very cautious, I had trusted him once and than...well...

I quickly made my way down to my new empty office. On my glass desk sat a box with an envelop. I leaned my butt on the desk as I crossed my one arm and began reading the note that was tucked inside the envelope.

Alyssa,

Well here we are again, trying this over. (if at first you don't succeed, try, try again ;) ) Anyways, have you noticed we haven't had a good first date? I wanna try it over again, the right way this time. And as adorable as you looked in my sisters dress last night, i believe the dress inside this box might be a little better. So tomorrow night, 8 o'clock.... I'll pick you up, and I promise to not lot be late (how could i? I literally live in the same building!!)

~P Kane

I decided I would give him the chance tomorrow, that's basically what my life was anyways, chances. To make it even more special, I refused to see the dress that Patrick had picked out until tomorrow.