Chapter 29: Mouthgaurd

I opened the oven and carefully took out the chicken, then there was a knock at the door. "Right on time" I smiled to myself as I took off my oven mitt.
"Hey Pat" I said as I swung the door open
"I right on time eh" he smiled
"Yep you are, take a seat" I said as we walked into the kitchen.

I placed a piece of chicken onto a plate and placed a portion of a salad I had made onto the dish. I slid Patrick over his plate along with a cup of iced tea. I fixed my plate than took a seat at the counter.
"This is amazing! I might come over for dinner more often" he said as placed another piece of chicken into his mouth.
"This was a one time thing, remember?" I smirked
"How about I cook dinner one night and we just take turns? Once a week, come on" he poked
"I'll think about it Kane"
"Alright well I came over here for a reason"
"To eat my food?"
"No I gotta ask ya something" he said as he played with his fork
"Alright ask"
"I know you don't like to play hockey anymore but I was thinking maybe you would change that and come play Thursday? Just a game between a few hawks players and a few Olympians. I know it's a lot to ask but we need another Right winger and you fit the bill" he didn't dare to look me in the eye, instead he dragged the fork through the remains on his plate.

Playing hockey with Olympians and a few hawks, it wasn't the Olympics but it was pretty far up there. How could I turn it down?
"I don't know Pat, I'm gonna be a little rusty" I mumbled
"Than you can come warm up tomorrow at morning skate, we can get there early and" he kept mumbling, he was trying everything to convince me to come.
"Alight!" I yelled, interrupting him mid sentence.
"Huh?"
"I'll do it! I'll come play Thursday"
"Are you serious? It's not April 1st, like no joke"
"No joke, Pat. I'll be there Thursday.. Pick me up early tomorrow so we have extra time for practice" I smiled

-
I swung open my closet door and pulled out the big box that was sitting in the back. Written on top in black sharpie was 'the past', a little something reminding me not to open it. But today I needed to, I quickly ripped off the tape and opened it. Inside were my hockey gloves, the last role of tape I ever used (white), my elbow, chest and knee pads along with my hockey pants. At the bottom was a few pictures of me playing hockey along with a CD of highlights my mom had made for me.

As I took the pads out there was a knock on the door. I picked up the cd and left in on the counter on my way to the door.
"Hey you ready?" asked an eager Patrick
"Um yea, let me go get my skates and stick"

*Patrick's POV*
I watched as Alyssa disappeared into her bedroom. I made my way into the kitchen, I saw her put leftovers from last night in the fridge. As I entered my eyes were drawn to a cd case that was lying on the counter. I picked it up, the case read 'Alyssa's highlights, courtesy of mom :)'. I needed to see it, I needed to see how she played. I quickly took the case and hid it in my suit pockets that were pretty big.

"Ready?" she said as she walked into the kitchen
"Uh yea" I smiled

*Alyssa's POV*
The practice went well, it was like I never left the ice. I wonder all the time what my life would be like if I hadn't quit, it still haunts me.

* Thursday *
"Rise and shine!" I yelled as pushed Patrick's apartment door open. He was stuffing a spoonful of captain crunch into his mouth.
"I thought I was gonna get you?"
"Your making dinner tonight, I figured I could come get you" I laughed as I lugged my hockey bag in.
"Alright let me finish and we'll go"

The UC was open to season ticket holders so it was a little nerve racking to see people in the stands. It was basically a fun scrimmage for season ticket holders.
"I'll meet you on the bench, I gotta change" Patrick and I parted ways and I headed to the ice girls locker room. I swung the door open and dropped my sticks and jaw as my eyes laid upon Hilary Knight.
"No fucking way" slipped out of my mouth
"Uh hey" she smiled and waved
"I'm sorry, it uh I can't believe Hilary knight is in our Locker room"
"Uh yea I'm here for the scrimmage, you are to I'm assuming" she said as she looked over at my hockey bag
"Uh yea, I'm alyssa" I said as I held out my hand for her to shake.
"Oh are you on Kane's team or Kieth's?"
"Oh uh Kane" I said as unzipped my hockey bag
"It will be fun to play against you, I'm on Keith's team. But you got Duggan on your team" I than looked around the room, a few women Olympians from both USA and Canada's team, it was like a dream came true, I was going to play with olympians.

I quickly changed and was handed an away Blackhawk jersey with my last name 'Johnson' plastered on the back. Thank god my gear matched the jersey colors. I made my way to the bench, Patrick, Rebecca Johnston and Brandon Saad were our first line, not to shabby.

The game was off to a great start, I was more excited that Knight was on the second line so I got to battle against her. Shaw won the face off and quickly passed the puck to me. I knew what I had to do, I started a 2 on 1 rush against Kieth. I danced the puck around his stuck, making his head spin. I saw it wide open, Crow's five hole. I quick tap in and we had the first goal.
"Yay! Suck it Kieth" I herd Patrick yell as I skated by the bench for fist bumps.

I took a seat next to Patrick as I waited for my next shift.
"A goal on your first shift on your first time playing again, not to shabby"
"Like you could do better Kane"
"Alright, I'm gonna keep my mouth shut"
"Stop chewing on your mouth guard like that, your gonna choke on the thing" I yelled as I hopped over the bench for my shift.

"Come on boys we just wasted a power play" I yelled
"How about a little more physical?" shouted Shaw as he got ready for the face off
"Bring it" I could here Tazer yell, he was on Keith's team. We were just about to get off a power play because Sebs took a tripping call on Kaner. I came skating down the ice after the puck and saw the penalty box swing open, out came Sebs. I gave him a big hefty body check, sending him flying back into the boards.

"Damn that was big hit" I herd from everyone's mouth on the ice, I liked being physical
"I didn't know you could hit like that" Said Duggan as I took a seat next to her.
"They teach you that on USA's development team"
"No way, you almost played for the U.S team?"
"Yea, actually you came to one of our scrimmages, I got a hat trick that night" I smiled at the memory
"Alyssa Marie Johnston? The scouters were always taking about you, you were suppose-"
"To make the olympics? I know, things happened"
"Sorry to here that, your one hell of a player" she laughed
"Yea I got that lot"
"Now you work for the hawks? not so shabby" she smiled than jumped the bench for her shift.

Once my next shift came I lost the face off and the puck got dumped into the corner. I loved making big hits there but it was a big mistake. I came in fast and had my head down as I tried to see the puck. All I could remember next was a body hitting me and my head smacked down on the ice.

Everything was black, I could only here something in my body crack. I didn't feel my mouth guard in my mouth.
"Call the trainers!" I herd a voice yell, Patrick's.

A/N
Cliffhanger! Will Alyssa be okay? What if she has a cuncussion??? So many questions! I'm not a horrible person, I'm gonna update early so you don't have to wait that long, maybe tomorrow or Thursday?