Chapter 35: You're my sweet escape

"Who was that?" Asks Patrick as he takes his seat

"My uh old friend" I swallow hard

"What did he want?"

"Just to say hi.....And he invited me to play in an alumni game in a few days.... he was my old linemate" I confess

"Alyssa that's great"

"I know Pat but I don't want another concussion or worse"

"Alyssa it was a freak accident plus there is no Kieth to hit you"

"Maybe Pat, maybe"

*

"I can't believe I'm doing this" I say as I dump the bucket of pucks onto the ice

"You love it" Pat says as he steps on the ice "man I missed this feeling" he says as he glides slowly to center ice.

"Are you coming?" he question as I stand by the bench

"Ya" I mumble. I let my skates hit the ice, sending chills down my spine. I always get the flashback from the last game I had ever played.

I have new hockey gloves on, my old ones smelt.

"No way you use the vapor apx2?"

"Yea, always have"

"I have the same stick" he laughs

"Come on we gotta get work done" I laugh

5 hours on the ice practice with Patrick, five hours.

"Thank you" I whisper as we drive to the house

"For?"

"Today, I think you really helped" I giggle "I know that sounds stupid"

"No It doesn't, you have such an attention to detail and it's amazing.. I've learned a lot today to" he smiled

"So ready for this game tomorrow" I smirk as I hop out of the jeep (I changed the car)

*

I stared over in the locker room at Alex who was lacing his right skate last as he always did, the rest of the locker room was getting dressed to. I was always early so I was completely dressed with the exception of having no jersey in my stall.

"Listen up!" yells coach as he slaps a rolled up piece of paper

"Coach?" I say, interrupting him

"Huh Johnson?"

"I still don't have my jersey"

"First thing, Alyssa will be the captain tonight, Alex and Jess will be alternates, you guys are starting along with Ryan in the net" he continues to talk but I can't here because I'm to excited about the though of me dawning the 'C' on my jersey. A guy from the equipment staff throws me my jersey, the 'C' patch was freshly put on. I slipped it over and my hand outlined, it was truly magical.

As soon as I took the blue line for the national anthem, I spotted Patrick right next to the penalty box. It was good to know I had his support.

"You ready?" questions Alex

"More than you'll ever know" I smirk as I get ready for the first face off.

Patrick's POV

Alyssa made me breathless, there was no way to describe how she skated and stick handled. She sure as he'll didn't take shit from the other team, being that she was one of the only 2 girls on her team she did get a lot of crap from players.

I watched her hip check a guy and she sent him flying. I was glad she didn't play on an all girls team, there wouldn't have been enough action for her. There was 2 minutes left in the 3rd period and we were still tied 2-2.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Alyssa on the breakaway. It was almost like slow motion as I watched her do the move I taught her. Forehand to backhand to forehand and hold. Quick switch to back hand and right in the top right corner. I watched the red light begin flashing. Alyssa scored the game winner. The smile on her face was unexplainable as she was jumped on by her teammates. I just felt a wave of happiness as she fist bumped her teammates. This was a side of Alyssa I have never seen before. The ice, it was her home, here with her teammates. She was doing exactly what she loved, what she grew up doing. I could tell instantly that she was natural born hockey player. She was happiest here.

I could barley sit in my seat for the minute that was left on the clock. As soon as the buzzer sounded it was a weight lifted of my shoulder and the knot in my stomach was gone.

My world was turned upside down, I have been sober for 2 months now, not a single drop of alcohol. With every sip I took the pain eased, it was like I escaped the world. No one could touch me each time I took another swig from the dreaded bottles. I only came back when I needed to play hockey but even hockey wasn't enough of an escape. But now, Alyssa was my alcohol. Being with her was my escape from the world. I could spend months and not be able to perfectly describe the way I feel her laugh in my bones to how her smile radiates the world. She drives me insane but in the best way. I am so confident that what is about to happen will be my sweet escape.