Chapter 41: Slapshot

I help Pat get his knee brace on before he continues to put on the rest of his gear.

"Are you sure your good to play?" I whisper to him, none of the guys know how much pain his knee is in. I'm sure if Pat saw the doctor they would probably sit him out immediately but that wasn't Pat's option.

"I'm sure, we iced it so much that it's numb"

"I'm trusting you" I kiss him quickly which gets a bunch of "Get it Kaner!" remarks from around the locker room. I wait in the tunnel and fist bump each of the guys as they make their way out to the bench. Anaheim was in for it tonight.

After first period we were scoreless and I was with Patrick in the back room. He was laid out on the table, his skates on the floor. I could see it in his eyes he was in a lot of pain.

"Babe can you promise me you'll see the doctor after tonight's game?"

"Babe"

"Babe nothing Pat, it's not even about hockey, it about your health"

"I promise" he kisses me. I help shake the lactic acid out of his leg but I can't touch the other one because it causes him to much pain to move it. I help him off the table and tie his skates before he waits quietly in the locker room.

"Alyssa?" questions Jon

"What's up?"

"What's up with Pat?"

"What do you mean?"

"I figure he tells you everything, what's up with him? He isn't playing like himself"

"It's better if Pat tells you" I smile at him than head back out to the tunnel and watch as the guys get back to the bench for second period. I was in just as much pain as Pat was as I watched him play. Even Coach Q asked Pat if he was okay. I wanted him to get out so bad, he was putting himself at so much risk.

10 minutes left in the second, the score 2-1 hawks. Getzlaf takes a slapshot at Crawford and as if it was slow motion I see Patrick fall to block the shot. He deflects the shot off his knee. His bad knee. Within second his throws his gloves off and spits out his mouth guard and clutches his knee. My first instinct, being right in the doorway of the tunnel, it to jet to the ice but Jonny holds me back. The trainers rush to the ice to help Pat whose lying on his back clutching his knee. They can't even get him up so they call for he stretcher. The trainer leans down to try to talk to Pat. Pat grabs the trainers hand and squeezes the shit out of it, he must be in so much pain.

"Pat!" I cry, Jonny still holding me back. He turns to the equipment manager, Troy, and tells him to take me to the back.

"No!" I scream, I wanted to rush to the ice to be with Pat. Troy picks me up over his shoulder and forcefully carries me to the back room.

"He's going to be okay"

"No he's not!" I weep. The equipment staff and other coaches are sitting quietly as they stare at the tiny tv screen.

"He's in a lot of pain, he's squeezing that trainers hand tight."

"He's in so much pain he couldn't even attempt to skate off by himself. They're loading him onto the stretcher"

"Isn't that the leg he's wearing a brace on?"

"I believe it is" I hear the broadcasters say. What did he do to his leg? I watch as they load him onto the stretcher and leave the ice.

"I'm sorry I've got to go" I say to Paul, the other strength and conditioning coach.

"I've got you covered, go make sure he's okay"

I see the doctor in the hallway on my way out.

"Why aren't you with him?"i say infuriated

"He's being rushed to the hospital, we think this is really serious" he sighs and that makes my heart drop even lower into my stomach. I wanted to throw up.

I begin running out of the building to the back where I can hear the ambulance. I didn't even have a jacket and it must've been below 40 tonight. I see them closing the doors on the ambulance and I begin running. But I am not fast enough for the time I even get close the ambulance pulls out of the parking lot and is gone. I run as fast as I can to my car. My hand shakes as I try and turn on the car. "come on come on" I whisper as I turn on the engine.

Patrick's POV

The pain was unbearable and the loud noise of the sirens weren't making it any better. People huddled over me and I had a breathing mask over me and towel in my mouth to bite down on to help with the pain. All I could think about was how I screwed up so bad. I shouldn't have played tonight, god knows how long I just sidelined myself for. Before I know it were at the hospital and they're rolling me along in the hallway.

"Alyssa" I call out, expecting her to be there but there was no answer. Where was she? why isn't she here?

"Alyssa! Alyssa!" I frantically call out but there was know answer. What happens next is such a blur.

A/n I couldn't hold this update any longer, next update will be tuesday!