Helios Sees All

"That's not true." I weakly whisper. "Of course you will not sleep alone for the rest of your life."

"You still won't join me. My own wife." Hephaestus drunkenly mumbles. "If you won't, who will? A mistress begging for my affection?" He laughs loudly. "Now that would be the day!"

"You never know," I say with my eyebrows clenched. I hated the idea of a mistress but who am I to protest? Perhaps, it would be better off for both of us if he did have one.

He leans on me as we enter our little home. I lay him down in his bed and hand him some water, all the while remaining deadly silent as his sad eyes watched me.

"Why won't you love me? I know I'm a disappointment...and disfigured in comparison to every other God out there...but I could-" I place my finger over his lips before he continues.

"Shh," I tell him quietly. "It isn't your fault."

"Maybe not."

"Drink the water." I insist gently before standing up. "Then sleep well. I have to tend to Eros."

"Mhm." He grunts, gulping a few more sips before letting his head fall back onto the pillow.

I leave the room only to hear a knock on the door before I can even get to Eros.

"Why?" I grunt to myself before slowly prying the door open. "We're quite busy," I say before I even see their face.

"My apologies. I just wanted a quick word with Hephaestus. He left rather suddenly." The God answers as my face turns white.

"Helios?" I say, flabbergasted.

"You remember me? I'm flattered." He says cheerfully, but it was a fake impression of cheerful. "Now, I won't be long. I just had a quick message for him I thought he would want to know."

I stare at him blankly, and unmoving while he waits outside patiently.

"You wouldn't deny me that, would you? He's still awake, isn't he?"

"He might...be," I whisper. After a moment I give in and move out of the way for him to come in. "His bedroom is right-"

"Yes, I am familiar with where it is. I have been here many times, long before you were even a thought." He dismisses me and trudges ahead to my husband's room, my heart beating my chest harder by each of his footsteps.

I haven't a clue if he is here to tell him what I think he is. I don't even know if Hephaestus is conscious enough to even have a conversation with anyone even. 

I pray he isn't...and instead of waiting to find out, I simply put myself and Eros to bed and leave him to let himself out when he's done. 

I'll have to find out in the morning what exactly he had to say if anything at all. 

*          *          *          *

I awake to a deathly silent house. Even Eros doesn't make a sound.

Slowly, I rise from my bed and make my way to the kitchen only to find it just as empty as the rest of the house. 

Hephaestus must have already headed to work. I may have slept in a tad...but how? He must have been exhausted after last night! 

Nervously I brush out my hair and get dressed into something comfortable; one of my pastel pink robes will do. 

I was perfectly prepared to sit around moping and waiting all day...until another knock on the door. 

I bolt to the door anxiously, throwing it open, almost begging for it to be Hephaestus coming home early to tell me what he knows. At least then I would be able to put this anxiety behind me. I despise waiting...

But it isn't Hephaestus. 

Nor is it Helios, Demeter, Iris or Hera coming back to taunt me. 

"I couldn't stay away. I was worried." Ares pulls me into his arms. "Hephaestus won't be back for a long time, I made sure of it!" 

I gawk in disbelief, my arms at my sides. I am too in shock to hug him back. 

"How is it safe for you to be here regardless?" I hiss, nearly boiling with anger. "We can't risk this!" 

"I felt terrible about how things went yesterday. That must have been humiliating." He continues ignoring my comments entirely. "How was Hephaestus when you got him home? Did he say anything?" 

"He was too drunk to do much of anything except go to bed but-" He cuts me off with an aggressive kiss. "Good." He says before capturing them again. 

I mumble tiredly against him but give in eventually. Hephaestus is gone...this shouldn't cause any more harm that hasn't been done already. I let myself lean against his body while his hands run through my hair. The whole thing is just making me dizzy with joy...I feel like I can actually let go of my anxiety for just a moment...

"Come on. Let me in." Ares moans against my lips. "I'll leave right after if you want. I just don't want to say goodbye so soon." 

Impulsively I tug him inside and slam the door shut behind him. "Only for a second..." I say, my voice filled with lust. "Then, you have to leave. It's not safe!" 

"I know, I know, I know...Come on, take me to your bedroom." He begs. 

"No, no. Eros is in there." I turn him down, biting my lip while we pause in the hallway. "We could take...Hephaestus's room?" 

He grins from ear to ear. "I can't tell you how happy it makes me that you don't share his bed." 

"We haven't for a long, long time despite his efforts." 

He smiles again and picks me up in his arms on our way there. "I can't wait to take you away from here. I want you as my wife, not his." 

"I know." I kiss his jawline as he sets me down on my feet. Quickly he parts the front of my robe and pulls it off my shoulders. Once it falls on the floor he jerks off his shirt.

"Get on the bed. Now." He tells me sternly, with a hint of playfulness. 

"Yes, God of War." I smile, gesturing for him to follow. 

"Don't mind if I do." He crawls on the bed with me. "I want to show the Goddess of Love exactly what love is." He chuckles while I wrap my arms around him. 

And then the bed let out a subtle screeching sound as the net deployed, capturing us both in each other's arms. 

I scream in horror as I realize what has happened. 

Helios told Hephaestus. 

Helios truly does see all.