A Wedding on Mount Olympus

*Aphrodite's wedding dress pictured above*

I feel rather numb as I follow my two newfound 'friends'. 

Is this how I want to pledge my life to someone? To promise to love them? 

No...And as the Goddess of love, I am certain I must know what I am talking about! Unfortunately, though, it doesn't appear there is any way to stop it. 

My long wedding gown lightly flowed around me as I raced to catch up with them. A small underlying panic was filling me every time I took a look at the white, chiffon fabric that was adorned on me. 

My wedding dress...on a fake wedding day. 

I take a long shaky breath before I step out in front of everyone. Demeter and Artemis step to the side to reveal me. 

Just as expected, every eye turns towards me, taking me in from top to bottom. 

"Excellent, the bride has arrived. We shall commence!" Zeus stood at the front of the room, alongside his wife, Hera, who watched me enter the room without a speck of emotion. 

I nearly melt under her gaze. I doubt she would help me, but maybe Zeus will. 

As I walk down the middle aisle towards the altar, sweet music plays a blissful melody, almost settling my nerves. As I turn my head to see where it is coming from, I see Apollo playing the lyre. His face is grim, nearly sympathetic...but I don't know if he is feeling sorry for me or himself for lucking out. 

I sadly keep walking until I reach Hephaestus, his brother Ares seated in my line of vision behind him. His eyes were directed at the ground. I look to him pleadingly for any help, but his eyes are stubbornly pointed away...My heart sadly wrenches, as I turn to speak to Zeus and see that he is gone. Only Hera stands before me and Hephaestus now. 

"You are?" I whisper in confusion. 

"Yes. I am the Goddess of marriage." Hera quickly interjects. "Now let's commence. Repeat after me, Aphrodite." 

"Please! You can speak with your husband and convince him to hold off for a while, can't you? I'm not ready! This doesn't feel right! I barely even know what or who I am, let alone be able to take on the role of a wife!" I plea desperately in a hushed whisper, tears finally escaping my tear ducts, flowing down my cheeks for the first time. The tears remind me of the sea instantly, only increasing my sadness...if only I had never left there. If I hadn't, I wouldn't be forced to commit to a man that I do not love or even know.

Hephaestus looks to the ground sadly, and I feel his heart going out to me. I know he is stuck in this as much as I am, and he is just as powerless...but I'm not sure he would do something even if he did have the power to do so. I was a prize thrown into his lap, a prize he certainly wouldn't want to let go just like any other God in this room. 

"No, I can't do that." She quickly replies, instantly returning to the ceremony. "Now repeat, after me...I take thee, Hephaestus, to be my wedded husband, to have and to hold...."

I drown out her words, ducking my head behind my hair as my tears flowed. This isn't right, and no one is doing anything about it. I could run...but would good would that do me? I can sense the Gods are powerful, much more powerful than I. The mere thunder of Zeus' voice could knock me on the ground. I'm sure he wouldn't let me go...

"Please..." I whimper one last plea while Hera remains neutral and unmoving. Zeus and everyone in the palace can hear my whimpers, and no one has stepped in yet. It is clear there isn't another choice but to agree unless I want to start a real war. 

"Yes...I do." I finally agreed after a pause. "I take thee..." I look up slowly, my tears finally stopping. I am not allowing any more tears of weakness. "Hephaestus, to be my wedded husband, to have and to hold from this day forward...for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness..." My eyes couldn't help but shift to the poor man's leg. "...And in health...to love, to cherish, till death do us part..." I whisper out the final words and quietly listen to him repeat them. 

Hephaestus chastely kisses me once the union is finished. My first kiss, absolutely meaningless to me, but yet, it took place on my wedding day. 

The rest of the evening is filled with celebration and dancing. Ares left immediately, however, filling my heart with even more anguish. Perhaps, now that I have been claimed, he would rather not see me again? Would our paths cross again? Would he allow them to? 

Without further protest, I dance with my husband. I even help him patiently so that his limp does not ruin the dance. He leans on me ever so slightly and doesn't speak for a long time. Just like myself, he is utterly speechless on what has occurred in merely one day. 

When the night begins to die down, he finally speaks. "Do you wish to leave? I can take you to my own home to get out of this nasty crowd....well, I suppose it would be our home now." 

I nod silently as he takes my hand. He leads me out without saying goodbye to anyone. 

Outside the palace that is the home of Olympus, the sky is now dark. "I guess Apollo has already drove the sun away." Hephaestus quietly murmurs to himself while I simply look up, taking in the sunless sky for the first time. 

"What are those?" I whisper in wonder, taking in the bright, shimmering, little specks. 

My husband briefly smiles. "Stars, have you not seen them before?" 

"I haven't seen a lot of things before." I simply reply, my voice gentle. "I was just born today, remember?" I giggle lightly. 

"Ah, yes. It has been a crazy birthday, hasn't it?" He replies sympathetically. "Well, thankfully, there are a lot of beautiful sights for you to see and experience soon enough." 

I nod in agreement. At least that would give me something to look forward to... 

"And I don't think you were just born today, Aphrodite. Look at you." He saves shamelessly, for once, motioning at me up and down. "You had a life down under the sea for a little while I believe. You're just choosing to emerge now for some reason." 

I look to the ground thoughtfully as this possibility frankly stuns me. 

"You may have been running from something...or wanted a fresh start with no memories of the past," Hephaestus says thoughtfully. "Well, that's a theory anyway. Who knows. All we have is today...so yes, today can be your birthday I think." 

I nod, still overwhelmed. "Yes, I think that would be nice. Today is the first day of my life as far as I'm concerned."