Trouble in Paris

A mere few days later I dressed for the wedding, my heart bubbling with giddy anticipation.

I get to see one of my matches succeed firsthand! Not only that but it will be a grand wedding in Paris.

While Hephaestus and I haven't miraculously become the ideal couple in the last few days, we have bonded, and we'll go to this wedding with grins on our faces.

We'll be the perfect image of hope, if you will.

Two smiling faces who claim to be in love, attending a wedding for a couple that truly are, thanks to me. I can't help but puff out my chest just a tad at my accomplishment. I had a feeling few Goddesses and Gods would take me seriously. I could have no true power except for beauty after all, in their eyes. I was nothing but a vixen handed off to the ugliest of all the Gods...though, I suppose I needed such a fate. If I had been given the fairest husband I would be nothing but a gloating air head.

I suppose I have to hand that to Zeus. He saved me from an ill fate. I can't imagine how much more I would have been hated if I had married Ares right off the bat, handed to him with a little bow on my head. A gift no man would refuse, just as he would have been a pleasant gift to me.

I, like any other woman, should have to fight for who I love. It can't be that easy...and I'm beginning to learn that painfully and slowly. For now, I am with Hephaestus. It may work out and it may not. We'll have to find out if I truly do learn to love him or not...or if my heart continues to ache for what I do not have - or, continue to lust for what I cannot possess. I still have not figured out which category Ares falls under.

"Are you wearing that?" Hephaestus knocks me from my banter with myself.

"Uh, yes. Why? Is it too revealing?" I reply half heartedly. I don't know if I would change it or not if he didn't like it. I was looking rather forward to wearing the pale pink dress I just sewed myself. It took me a while to learn and I tried my hardest to give it a simplistic glow without being too showy.

It isn't my wedding, after all. I have to resist the urge to outshine everyone else present, particularly the bride.

"N-no...I happen to think it's quite lovely." He says tentatively, a soft redness spreading on his cheeks.

I let out a broad smile and pinch his cheeks boldly. "Oh thank you. That's sweet of you. I made it myself, you know."

He grins ever so slightly. I could have sworn he was being mischievous. "Yes, I know. I could hear every little yip every time you pricked your little fingers."

I scoff playfully and quickly brush out my long hair. It has grown impossibly long since I emerged from the sea and I haven't cut it once. I can't part with its length for some reason...and I can't help but suspect that my husband likes it long, but I could be wrong.

"Okay, okay. Let's go or else we'll be late - and don't think I won't blame you!" He warns me as he opens the front door, apparently leaving with or without me.

"Why don't you get a chariot?" I groan lightly. "Then we wouldn't have to walk all the damn time!"

Hephaestus rolls his eyes as he sticks to his stubborn ways. "Exercise." He only mutters. "It keeps my legs strong." He gestures to his troublesome leg.

I grimace, and have to hand it to him for his determination and drive. He could easily use a chariot constantly for the exact same reason.

Luckily it was only a short walk and we arrived just in time for the vows. Instead of disrupting the ceremony between Peleus and his beautiful nymph bride, the both of us stood in the back and watched with pride - well at least I did. Hephaestus stood and watched with impatience.

"Anyone who has reason for these two to not wed, speak now or forever hold your peace."

I hear these words just as a shriek erupts from the massive crowd. A Goddess whom I didn't recognize bursts through the crowd in a disruptive huff. She was clearly agitated, and not the fairest to look at.

"This is...DISPICIBLE!" She screeches at the top of her lungs.

I let out a startled gasp but decide to watch in awe rather than intervene. After all, this has all taken quite an entertaining turn.

She looks through the crowd, observing all the guests like a hungry hyena, searching wildly for something to feast on.

"What in the..." Hephaestus groans to himself, not even bothering to finish his sentence.

"Who is that?" I hiss desperately.

"Eris." He replies quickly and quietly. "The Goddess of Discord."

With my mouth agape, I watch as the goddess tosses a golden apple into the crowd, shouting angrily as she does so. "Hope you all have a wonderful wedding sorting this out! Next time, invite me!"

I wrinkle my nose. "She is throwing a fuss just because she wasn't invited?

"She was the only one not invited." Hephaestus observes, looking over all the guests.

"Oh." I say simply, cringing inwardly. Instinctually, I creep closer to the golden apple. It has a marking on it and I'm going to read it. Before I can get to it however, Hera appears from nowhere and grabs it up greedily. She reads it to everyone, proudly. "To the fairest of them all!"

It was a prize.

I scrunch up my nose and shake my head. If she thinks that belongs to her, then she's more of a fool than I thought. She isn't sore on the eyes, and clearly the most desired out of the older Goddesses, but she's been outdone.

I lurch forward and rip the apple from her hands, holding it up in the air proudly. "I don't think so. A fellow would have to be blind to believe you were fairer than I." I can't help but smirk at her face slowly coming undone, before emerging into the perfect picture of fury.

The crowd bustles with the men all arguing amongst themselves.

Suddenly an victorious battle cry erupted in the crowd as Athena snatched it from my hands next, holding it securely in her palm.

"I don't think so. This is mine."