Little One

I indirectly promised not to think of Ares, nor ever sneak away with him. The inferred promise was to please Hephaestus and I have kept my word so far...but I don't know if I could keep my word if I were to see Ares again.

So far, Hephaestus has kept his distance from me, and no longer shares my bed. I don't mind sleeping alone anyway due to his chronic snoring, and the situation has become less than a marriage and closer to a distant friendship.

Everything continued fine.

For a while. A brief moment.

Until I awoke to a sick feeling in my stomach. The rising bile in my throat erupted from my throat before I could even get out of my bed. Humiliation filled me as I emptied my guts on the floor beside me.

Hephaestus flew into the room and took the scene in as neutrally as he could. He stayed in the doorway and looked me up and down quickly. For a second he was taken aback, then he simply shook his head. "I suppose it would be his?" He inquires in a low, disappointed voice.

"I suppose so," I reply. I stayed where I was until more vomit came. Thankfully this time, my husband provided me with a bin to kneel over. He even cleaned everything up for me as I laid myself back down, speechless with shock.

I'm no mother. Why is this happening now? Hephaestus wipes my face with a cool cloth and handed me water before leaving for work.

I simply laid in silence for the day, not entirely sure if I should inform Hermes of the child. It surely would be Hephaestus' greatest shame if I allowed anyone to know that it wasn't his child...but Hermes would keep it a secret, wouldn't he? If I asked him to keep his brother's reputation?

In a hot sweat, I decided to simply tell no one. He bragged to his father once already and that was how the gossip initially started and fell upon Hephaestus's ears. 

So, I never tell a soul. 

*          *            *            *           *

As my belly began to show, I left the house scarcely, only leaving to be with the humans. 

I began to use my belt and sprouted quite a few love affairs among mortals. To my pleasant surprise, all of them lasted and ended in marriage or children. I was flabbergasted that Hephaestus's creation worked so well! I had to give him credit where it was due. The man knew how to create inventions that worked absolutely flawlessly! 

We spoke now and again as he slowly accepted the baby. He told me of the other inventions he created, his proudest being Apollo's chariot. He also taught me many things about the Gods and their way of life.

I knew I had a responsibility to the humans, but to the other Gods, I also have responsibilities.

I found this out when they called upon me to attend Olympus once more.

Hephaestus insisted I go with him whether or not I wanted to ever see any of those envious Goddesses again.

"Demeter has given birth. If you want her to view you as a treasured sister, you should be there for her." He grumbled through our breakfast.

"Fine, but only because she was kind to me when I first came here." I half-heartedly agreed just as Demeter was half-heartedly nice to me all those months ago.

Avoiding his eye contact I dressed with him still in the same room. I decided to wear a chiffon white dress. It was carelessly held up by a thin piece of fabric over my shoulder. While my waist remained mostly bare, I still wore my golden belt and a long pearl necklace that extended the entire length of my waist.

I decided I was perfectly suited for white. It is a pure colour, and I am anything but...however, I do adore small doses of irony here and there.

"Must you dress like that?" Hephaestus weakly protests as I step into my white, diamond-encrusted sandals.

"Why not?"

He sighs instead of directly answering. "I had suspected you might want to hide your..." His eyes drifted down to the slight curve of my belly.

I thought for a moment, suddenly painfully aware Hermes might be there.

"Why should I hide what my husband gave me?" I finally conclude. "I promise, I will tell everyone it is yours. Besides, if I wore something loose, everyone would suspect I'm hiding something anyway, won't they?"

Hephaestus frowns. "You can tell them what you wish, but when it is born, it's looks will speak for itself."

"Oh, don't be ridiculous! A child of yours won't necessarily have to be identical to you in order to be yours." I lightly hit his arm and shimmy past him and out the doorway.

"Trust me, they'll know later on." He mutters lowly.

I feel for him now, truly. His sorrow leaks out into the atmosphere wherever he goes. But it is purely a sympathetic feeling. I still couldn't imagine myself with him forever. I can't even imagine sleeping beside him one more tedious night. Thankfully I don't at the moment. 

I do keep walking however, and we walk into Olympus hand in hand, just like any other married couple.

"Greetings!" Zeus was the first to greet us. "Seat yourselves at the table and we'll welcome the new little Goddess and bestow the little one her title."

I smile brightly and found myself genuinely ecstatic to see the little girl. I can't help but wonder if that is what I will have...

Zeus looked down at me suddenly before turning away, then looked to Hephaestus. "Well, this is a pleasant surprise." He laughs, his chuckle rumbling like thunder. "Didn't know you had it in ya!" He slaps his son on the back.

He turns away, excitingly announcing the new God or Goddess on the way.

As his back turns my hand death grips my husband's, and I furiously stare at Zeus's back.

I haven't forgotten the marriage he forced my naive-self into.

We headed to the table silently and sat. None of us had the chance to greet each other as Hera escorted Demeter into the room.

I spot a little bundle in Demeter's arms. I smile instantly and set my hand pridefully on my own belly.

"Presenting Demeter's daughter, Persephone!" Hera's cold voice echoed through the room. My eyes widen at her evident displeasure.

What has gotten itself wedged up her rear?

Zeus holds the child, beaming happily down at the little infant. "This Goddess will serve with her mother as the Goddess of Spring."

Demeter sighed happily. "Oh, thank you, Zeus! It's absolutely perfect!" She takes the girl from Zeus's arms and looked down to her in admiration.

It wasn't difficult to notice Zeus's lingering eyes towards the pair.

One last look towards Hera watching the two was enough to confirm such suspicion.

My mouth slightly opened and I turned to my husband. "Oh goodness, Persephone is Zeus's child."

Hephaestus turns to me quietly and nods his reassurance without hesitation.

Goodness, does everyone know?

Mouth still agape, I look back, suddenly noticing a dark, handsome figure at the back entrance of Olympus. He leaned against the wall with minimal interest as he took in the scene.

Zeus appeared taken aback as he caught the train of my gaze. "Ah, what a pleasant surprise..." He shouts. "Nice of you to finally join us, brother."

The dark figure comes closer, the light finally revealing the paleness of his complexion, quite a contrast to his black hair and his sharply angled and beardless features.

"Yes, sorry I'm fashionably late."