Finding Hermes

The day passed by quickly after I gave up my search for Ares.

Eventually, I found myself exploring the Earth, watching attentively as the mortals went about their lives. It was turning out to be rather fascinating.

The mortals had a slow process of love. Perhaps, the women would send each other small looks of fancy, batting their eyelashes, and giggling quietly. Occasionally, the men would show off for the women, showing the great feat of their strength, or flaunting all that they had to offer her, bringing her gifts and kissing their hands when permitted.

Sometimes, it would work, and the pair would sneak behind an alley and steal a kiss. Sometimes, it would continue, more often than not one or both would lose interest and bat their eyes at the next passerby, forgetting all about the previous source of their affection.

It was fascinating, but it made me roll my eyes at the sight. It was pitiful, driven by the physical attraction that fades in the blink of an eye or a wander of the eye. There was no soul connection, no forever after ending, and no guarantee of happiness. They could go on like this forever, just as I may.

After all, that is my fate if I never end up with a conquest that I intend to love forever; constantly jumping between God and man, unsatisfied with anyone. I could stay true to Hephaestus, a match I did not choose for myself, just as many mortal women were forced to do....or I could reach beyond that, and pursue whom I choose for myself and risk it all.

I could risk a broken heart, but secretly I know....what man or God would reject me?

* * * * * *

Weeks passed, and soon the humans knew of me. A temple was created in my name, just to honour me; within which they would light incenses, and candles. Women worked there, day and night in service of me and the men who would pay for their affections. More than a 1,000 women must have worked there, pleasing the men with riches and the men who had snuck away from their wives for the evening in hope of some true pleasure.

I felt pride for the pleasure house they had created for me, but nearly envied the lifestyle they relished and enjoyed. They were free to sneak away from their marriage for one night at a time, while I felt obligated not to. Guilt still holds me back, and Ares is nowhere to be found...

The mortals now know genuine pleasure and ecstasy thanks to me, but even I have not experienced it; only dreamt of it in the middle of the night in the field while my husband sleeps soundly and blissfully ignorant.

What have I done to deserve none?

* * * * * *

Though I did wish to wait for Ares, his return seemed nowhere close in sight. He is always at war, with no time for a woman he does not know secretly loves him...well lusts for him. That would be more fitting...

Though I want him more than anyone else, I must find another brief fling before my heart explodes in painful unsatisfaction.

I must do something! Hephaestus speaks of children. Children I would never dream of carrying for him!

So, on the 99th day of my marriage, I ran across a God whom I did not suspect.

His eyes were youthful, even more so than Apollo's. He was thin and nimble, and his eyes were the bright blue of the sea. He was dressed silly, and his shoes with wings were whimsical...but overall, the man was charming, and an excellent distraction.

When he approached me in the field during the night, I had no clue how he knew where to find me.

"I have a message for you milady." He slightly bowed, taking the cap from his head respectively. His face bore a wide smile - an adorable smile! I couldn't help but smile back ever so slightly.

"Is that what you do? Deliver messages to ladies to seek alone time in the middle of the night?" I scoff playfully.

"It appears such a lady does need company. Company her husband clearly does not show her." He replied seriously, with concern.

I sigh, and look to the ground as the frustration of the situation overtakes me. "He never spends any time with me. All that work is clearly more beautiful and satisfying to him than I will ever be... They say I was a prize of a bride, but with how he acts, he would have had me fooled."

"Certainly unfair." He cocks his head in interest.

"Very," I mumble unhappily. "I would rather any husband than him."

"He can divorce you," Hermes replied.

"But why would he? Who in their right mind would divorce me?" I huff.

"You know your worth." Hermes laughs. "Well, it's a little self-centred, but I would be lying if I said I didn't like your confidence."

I chuckle and turn towards him. "Come on, tell me how you knew I was here."

Hermes smirks lightly. "My father has seen you here many times before, and he knows my thoughts on you so he handed his other son a little advice."

I raise my eyebrows. "How interesting. This the same God who assigned me to a miserable marriage?"

"The very same. But, he does support polygamy. It's quite obvious once you get to know him, despite his wife's wishes."

I roll my eyes. "Uh, that intolerable Goddess. I would do the same if I were him."

"Why don't you?" Hermes encourages. He gently touches my hand, raising it to his lips to give it a soft kiss. "Otherwise, it's awfully unfair to leave a Goddess such as yourself always wishing for what she can't have. Allow yourself to have something for once. I know you haven't."

I inhale softly in shock at his words. I did not know he would be so forward.

"You've been a good, loyal wife until now haven't you?" Hermes asks, drawing me closer with both of my hands.

"I haven't," I admit. "My thoughts have always been elsewhere."

He laughs, kissing my forehead. "Don't worry. We all do that. Why not take it a step further?"