Eros

Over the next few days, it becomes clear that I have become pregnant again with my second child.

Only this time, I could not be happier.

My first try at motherhood was a failure. My heart wasn't in it, and I did not love the father. And now my son is living his own life without the need of his mother. He barely ever needed me.

This time, that is not the case.

I have to hide my excitement from bearing the child of Ares when I tell Hephaestus, of course.

"I am having another baby," I tell him as neutrally as I can at the dinner table.

Hephaestus only sighs and continues eating his meal for a while longer. He doesn't speak again until he's nearly finished. "It isn't mine." He says with a hint of spite. "So, do you know who's it is?

"Yes." I swallow my own spite. "It's a Prince."

Hephaestus laughs briefly. "A human prince?"

I shrug my shoulders. "I didn't find a match for this one yet...and he's charming."

I had decided ahead of time to claim that it was one of the princes. I had gone to see them recently already and told him about it. He had no knowledge of me seeing any of the other Gods recently, and I doubted I would get away with pinning fatherhood on any of the well known God's. I'll settle for a human nobody. He's a Prince, but still nobody...though, the more I get to know him the more I adore him...I may have fun with him for a while. 

Hephaestus won't care.

And I can see that he doesn't. "I see you must have also gotten bored. Hmm?" He raises his eyebrows. "Am I boring you?"

I blink solemnly and get up to leave. "You leave all day and only return home to eat one meal a day and then sleep. Explain to me how this isn't supposed to bore me? That is no way for a husband to treat his wife if he expects her to like him."

Hephaestus groans and dismisses me. "Just head to bed, Aphrodite. Have this baby, and we'll move on. I'm sure he or she will just leave the second they've grown anyways."

I frown but don't say a word. I slam my bedroom door, now a separate room from his, and sit on my bed.

I don't care how terrible Hephaestus will be for the next little while.

I am going to be happy with this baby. So, so happy.

And I can't wait to tell Ares when he finally returns back to me.
*         *          *          *          *
Time passes by quickly, my love for the baby growing every single day. Luckily, no trip to Olympus is required of me and I can go through my pregnancy without ridicule or any judgement from the other Gods or Goddesses.

Hephaestus is surprisingly pleasant as if he doesn't notice my growing abdomen at all - which he may not! He barely looks at me at all...He avoids it. 

Despite it all, I am content. Content, but impatient.

I feel as if I am a widow waiting for a husband to return home from war, not expecting that he never will. Now I suppose that is simply me being dramatic...but I can't help it.

I have never been in love before.

And I can't even explain it.

I barely know him, and yet, I gravitate to him like the sunflowers turning towards the sun no matter which direction it's in. I lean towards him for the life of me! Just so that I may finally take advantage and blossom as beautifully as I am meant to!

Hephaestus does not understand this.

I don't even know if he knows what love is.

That has never occurred to me before, but it's a rather valid fact that I should have considered sooner. His mother disowned him initially at the shameful sight of his ugliness and threw him from Olympus to the shore below. He became permanently crippled because of the lack of love his mother held for him. Now, even Zeus does not love him. He simply finds him useful when the time is needed...which is often. Hephaestus works tirelessly away from home every single day for his father and the other Gods, after all.

And...I just don't know what I feel about the sadness he must feel. I could rightly assume I am the only precious thing in his life, the only woman who has likely ever shared a home with him or ever will. Still, I am going to abandon him too.

Aren't I?

I can't help but lay awake and ponder on this for three nights straight. I already thought about it enough in the day but my mind still wouldn't let it go. The poor man has no one! He tries and tries and all for nothing but a distant, adulterous wife!

I nearly bring myself to tears by the third night, knowing there's nothing that I can truly do. I can't stay with him forever out of guilt.

I will leave. Ares or no Ares.

But I can at least make it worthwhile while I remain his wife.

The third night I wander down the hallway to his closed bedroom door and knock gently. "May I come in?"

"Aphrodite?" His voice is confused, but not unwelcoming. I take that as his permission and saunter into the dark room.

"Can I join you?" I whisper kindly.

"For what?"

"Company," I answer honestly. I wasn't about to throw myself at him so suddenly. That isn't how Hephaestus functions anyhow...but I can lie beside him and cradle my head in his strong chest if he wants me to.

And so I will.

"Alright." He gives me permission and throws back the covers.

I settle in without a word, cuddling into him even and enjoying the warmth of a man in the same bed as me.

"This isn't just pregnancy hormones forcing you here, is it?" He says, only half joking.

"No, but they're likely involved." I slightly smile.

"Fair enough." He says, a few of his fingers mindlessly stroking a few strands of my hair. "Do you have a name in mind yet? Are you going to call out his father in the name again?" He chuckles.

"I do have a name, I think. I have a feeling he will be very connected to me. He will continue my powers but he will carry on his own new, unique name." I say, lifting my head from my pillow.

"What would that be?"

"Eros." I smile oh so happily. "The God of love and desire."