Magical Love

Hermes took me happily, and I accepted his embrace.

The messenger God kissed me gently. My full lips against his soft, boyish ones were refreshing in contrast with Hephaestus' scruffy, rash pecks. His touch was attentive and eager; two things Hephaestus never was, considering how hesitant of a lover he had continued to be.

We hardly shared any words. We simply made love under the moonlight that night, and then laid on the grass in each other's arms for the rest of the night. We spoke afterwards before Hermes left, but nothing serious was spoken of at that point in time.

While we may have merely fooled around in the grass of the field, it was still an enjoyable fool around. A roll in the grass that was memorable, but purely physical; which I recognized was nothing to be ashamed of. It might even be something that could be rejoiced now that I was finally having the pleasure I was meant to have.

Hermes is the perfect secret lover. Nothing serious, nothing with any loopholes or promises. No expectations except fulfillment for both of us, as it should be between a God and Goddess.

Plus, he comes and goes as he pleases, and his presence is never suspicious.

The next few nights he returned, and we spoke more - after fooling around, of course. To my astonishment, he spoke of his own conquest for love.

"You're the Goddess of Love, what advice do you have for me?" He asked me, after our session of lovemaking.

I laughed aloud. "This is an odd question after what we just did, but I'm intrigued. Who's the girl?" I hold myself up in the grass by my elbows and face him with faint interest.

Part of me envied any girl that would catch his attention while he still has my attention, however briefly he may have it.

"I've known a girl for quite some time, but she's rejected me." He turns away.

I inwardly growl, both out of frustration that Hermes would be interested in another, and also that the girl had dared to reject him. "Who's this girl? What's her name?"

He sighs heavily. "A long-time friend." He answers mysteriously.

"And why would she deny you?" I groaned.

"She's married to another," Hermes mutters in disgust. "And she won't leave him. It was not even marriage for love, it was a forced marriage, like you and Hephaestus."

I frown immediately. "She either got lucky and got the right husband, or she's darn crazy to turn you away, Hermes." I neatly pushed a stray hair behind his ear affectionately. "I could never imagine loving Hephaestus. The first opportunity I have, I will leave him, though I don't know how...I wouldn't even know where to go..." I trail off worriedly. Surely, Hermes wouldn't take me in, my only chance is Ares...Perhaps, he would give me a home, and the title of a proud wife instead of a lonely wife.

Hermes chokes. "She's scared to leave."

I hum thoughtfully. "Perhaps you have made the mistake of assuming she is not happy where she is." I teasingly trace a finger along his chest. "Perhaps, he has made her quite happy and satisfied. Why would she have reason to leave just because you're lovelorn and sleeping with the Goddess of love and beauty?"

Hermes growls. "You're not helping."

"Well, I am one for passion, so follow that." I simply spout.

Hermes sits for a while silently as he thinks it over. "I've already given...a so-called passionate try, and it was to no use. She thinks she's in love with him."

I pout. "Well, that only leaves one thing. Move on, little boy." I laugh at his sour response but knew he trusted my opinion. "Come on, there's no way you're getting her from her husband with that attitude anyhow. Gain some confidence, boy." I giggle.

Hermes groans and throws himself into my arms like a child seeking comfort. "I suppose you're right. I'll just be the...friend she wants me to be."

"Sometimes, a girl can love you only as a friend, and that's okay," I whisper softly to myself. The words felt painfully true, as it was beginning to feel like how I felt about Hermes. I couldn't use him to replace Ares.

They are just too different.

I may have created some crazy fantasy about Ares and who he is, but I don't care. I know he's a better fit for me than Hephaestus no matter how he is.

I know he has fire, power, and spite. I know he's vengeful, vicious, and unforgiving. I can tell just from the look of him. He has the type of excitement contained inside of him that I would want in my own personal fantasy.

This fantasy cannot be sustained by my half-hearted husband, nor Hermes, the messager God with the heart of a boy, and the affections for someone else.

I'm the prettiest Goddess there is, but no one ever makes me feel that way.

"I don't know if we should continue this." I finally conclude, my chin resting on Hermes' head. "You don't need me seducing you anymore."

Hermes scoffs and pulls away. "It was I that tried to seduce you."

"And it was I that convinced you to stay and keep coming back." I sigh. "You have lots of other Goddesses to chase on those winged shoes of yours."

Hermes grumbles his acceptance and bids me farewell with one last hug.

"It was a fun affair." I murmur. "Now, go fall in love." I pull away. "For real this time."

Hermes chuckles. "If only there was an easy way to do that."

I smile sweetly. "Love is magical. Perhaps, I'll find a way to make it exactly that easy. It is my job, after all."

"I hope so. You need it too." Hermes says thoughtfully. "Beware when it happens though, they say it's as painful as being shot in the heart."

"Then, I'll look forward to it," I smirk, looking up to the stars above the field. "That means it'll be equally exhilarating."