Eileithyia

Time passes slowly, but I make it through my pregnancy relatively happily. I have to keep myself distracted anyhow.

So, even before I begin to show I have a little fun. I was arranging matches for the humans, sprinkling a little love here and there...but then, I had my eye on a Prince of my own to keep me company.

Adonis.

The man has finally blossomed into someone quite handsome. He's too beautiful to give away to some girl just yet...and with Ares gone. I am incredibly lonely.

I tried desperately to be content with Hephaestus, but it's just not the same. He doesn't even look at me like I am beautiful anymore..and such a travesty that is!

I could rip my hair out if things continue so boring-like.

I believe that he may even grow to hate me before long. He puts on a face of pleasantness whenever we speak or dine together...but I can see the disdain bubbling beneath, the hard feelings he holds back. The disdain he feels for me knowing he had to keep coming home to my ungrateful, promiscuous self...

I know he wants me to leave. I know he wants things to be cut off.

I understand that. I just have nowhere to go yet.

So, what better time could there be to take out my frustrations in the arms of a lovely Prince of the mortals?

Prince Adonis and I met on good terms. He wasn't looking for a wife, and I was looking for a lover. We both came to a temporary agreement, briefly having a whirlwind affair for the brief amount of time my pregnancy took.

And I am barely ready for it to be over, but the baby is due.

This time around I can't stand to be alone for the birth and call for Eileithyia to help me, the goddess of childbirth. She comes with a stone cold, but beautiful face.

"Oh, hello. It's very wonderful to meet you, Eileithyia." I open the door for her as nicely as I can. It has been so long since I've been in the company of another goddess. My only company has been mostly men lately.

"Yes. Indeed." Is all the Eileithyia says while looking about our tiny home.

"Would you like some wine? We can get acquainted." I offer worriedly.

"You're having wine?" Eileithyia furrows her brows accusingly.

"No! No. I was just offering for you. I will have...whatever I like." I defend, mumbling the last part.

I'm not liking her very much. I assume she feels the same for me.

"Is childbirth your main focus?" I ask her while I pour her glass. She hadn't refused my offer so I assume she will take it.

She does. "Yes. It is the only job I need, considering how important it is." She says proudly. She sips her wine and looks me over. "You look ready to burst already. When are you due?"

I blush furiously but answer, "Tomorrow."

The other goddess sets down her glass abruptly. "Why didnt you call me sooner? I need time to prepare everything perfectly for you. A goddess requires absolute comfort."

"Oh. Comfort would be nice, but I don't expect much. I did this the first time all on my own." I assure her nervously, but inside I am rolling my eyes.

"You did?" Her eyes widen and she frowns. "Why in Olympus would you not have called me then? I take care of every birth of every goddess whenever I am needed."

"I was new. I didn't know who to call and everyone kindly didn't feel the need to tell me." I mutter angrily before quickly returning to a chipper attitude. "Now, how should we prepare?"