Home

Hephaestus had a humble home, but it was filled with many interesting things. He explained that they were his inventions, and he was excellent at what he did. I had to agree with him on that note, but I still didn't know how to carry a conversation with him beyond that.

He brought me to his room eventually. "I can sleep on the floor if you like, or the spare bedroom." He instantly offers. 

"That's alright. I am not..." I pause, waiting for the right wording. "I am not...like Artemis? If that makes sense to you? Nor like Demeter?" 

Hephaestus hesitantly smiles. "Sure, I understand." He ponders for a moment. "Before that, would you like some wine? They weren't serving any at the wedding for my sake. I tend to indulge a little bit too much but I can do whatever in the Underworld I want when I'm at home." 

"Oh, I hadn't even noticed." I bite my lip and nod. "Yes, I would like to be at ease...and possibly talk more to get to know you?" 

He smiles and picks up his cane. "Alright, I'll pour the glasses." He leaves, as I sit on his bed, allowing my nasty thoughts to go places I didn't wish to think about right now. 

My husband is muscular from his work, that much is certain...and he is not horribly ugly, just not miraculously gorgeous like the others. I wonder why that is? And his limp! What could have caused that? Perhaps, the other Gods had been cruel to him? Just as the Goddesses had been cruel to me simply because of my looks? 

My heart wrenched in sympathy, and I regretted not thinking of that earlier. He and I may have more in common than I had assumed. 

But, on another matter. How badly is he crippled? I would hate to ask if it would affect how effectively he can...

I push the thoughts away and exit the bedroom to join him. "Do you have anything else I can wear? This dress isn't very comfortable." I immediately ask. 

He looks up from the sturdy wooden table he was seated at. "Uh...no I don't. First thing tomorrow I can get you everything you need, though...or I can go right now if you want me to." 

"No, that's alright." I murmur. I take a large sip as I seat myself, instantly gawking at the taste. 

"This is marvellous!" I gasp, causing Hephaestus to smile. It was lovely to see a spark of happiness on his lips. To make my own smile grow, I finish my glass. After that, I couldn't help but smile at everything. 

"So, Zeus is your father?" I ask after finishing my second glass. 

Stunned I was finally speaking, Hephaestus clears his throat. "Oh..um, yes. He is sort of." 

"How so?" 

"He doesn't technically act like it. I'm only really useful when I have another invention he can pawn off." He shrugs. "I'm not much use for anything else." 

I sigh loudly. "Well, your inventions are amazing..." I thought about how I could support him in his parental troubles, but it was hard for me to even imagine with no parents of my own. "Zeus does not seem like someone who is a good parent to anyone...but he prizes you over some of his other children," I conclude. 

He cocks his head curiously. "And what did you observe that makes you think that?" 

"It's quite obvious when he marries a girl to one of his sons simply to spite another one of his sons," I admit drunkenly. 

"What? Apollo?" My husband scoffs. "Well, Apollo certainly can't handle a wife yet. Not until he matures at least. He'll get over his infatuation with you soon enough." 

I frown, disliking the idea of Apollo forgetting me, but I stay with the conversation. "No, not Apollo. Ares. He hates Ares, doesn't he?" 

Hephaestus' face quickly whitens. "Yes...he does." 

"And Ares wanted me," I state as neutrally as I can. 

My husband stays quiet, finishing his own glass and pouring both of us another. We have already finished the first bottle by this point. 

"And do you want him?" He finally asks. 

I had suspected he would wonder as such, but I hold back my urges. "I do not know him," I whisper uncertainly. "But I am not married to him." 

Hephaestus sighs. "It's alright if you are attracted to him. The Gods know I am not a man to be desired. I am merely a worker, and I wouldn't blame you if you never look to me with lust." His voice is filled with defeat. "I am fortunate enough to be married to such a Goddess as yourself...but I suppose I have my father's hatred for Ares to thank for that, as well as my father's debt to me for freeing my mother from her own, golden throne." 

I smirk. "Hera is your mother, correct?" 

He scoffs. "Hardly, but technically, yes. She gave birth to me before throwing me from the heavens into the sea for my ugliness." 

My drunken self could not hold back my appalled and disgusted expression. After my initial reaction though, I take his hand in mine carefully. His hands are rough from hard work, which I can admire. "I am sorry that happened to you...but I will look to you as my husband. You are the one to satisfy my needs." I murmur quietly, looking at him through my lashes. 

He tentatively smiles. "So you won't go looking for him?" 

I think of Ares sadly before answering. "No, I will not." With a heavy heart, I promise that, and in the moment, it is a true promise. What I did not count on, however, was a simple fact, that you cannot promise the course of your actions once you find yourself falling in love. 

Especially with a love as powerful as mine. 

"Should we head to bed?" He inquires gently. 

"Give me a moment, and I will meet you there," I answer with a nod. 

He leaves me alone then as I mentally prepare myself. 

Of course, he is my husband, and I ache to know the pleasures of the bedroom. I will sleep with him and make love to him. That is my duty as a wife, and as the Goddess of the union of lovers, I must experience it at least once...

I surely hope he will not disappoint. I curse myself for such a thought, but it would be awful to not have a pleasing husband, would it not?