Give It Time

The following morning Hephaestus leaves me to do his daily work with little words and a small kiss on the cheek.

I continue my housework while desperately attempting to get Demeters threat out of mind. Would she still take revenge even though I was not a major deciding factor? Or would she still be angry because I was the first to break down and change my mind? I did probably encourage the others that followed.

Around midday a loud knocking erupts on the front door. The rapping continues until I am able to throw it open, my heart leaping out of my chest.

To my utter surprise I wasn't faced with the ravenous, revengeful Demeter.

In fact, it was the opposite, and I didn't know whether to jump up and down with glee or jump with shock and worry.

Ares.

"Ares?" I whisper urgently, looking both ways outside the doorway.

"He's working for at least another six hours." Ares shushes me. "And this will be quick."

"What do you mean? What will?" I exclaims as he tugs me outside. He closes the door behind me and I brace myself for an explosion of his affection, his hands on me and so on.

But it didn't happen.

He pulls me farther out of the way and takes me behind the home to the meadow. "What is it?" I repeat urgently but he ignored me until we reached the woods, similar to where we've made love before.

"I have something important to tell you." He mutters huskily. My body shivers at the sound of his tone but I stand in attention.

"Demeter's wrath is unraveling."

I flinch at the words. I don't have much time to react before my secret lover pulls me in front of him. "I don't know if we can see each other anymore, Blondie."

My mouth drops open and I feel the remorse sting my eyes. "No! You can't! Please..." I plead, my voice hoarse.

"She knows. Everything." He whispers, holding onto my hands tightly. "I should go away for a while. I will see you again, of course." His voice is strained as well, for the first time showing weakness.

He truly does care despite his hard exterior...

I cup his cheek, tears streaming my face. "When? How can I stand to wait?" I weep softly. My heart has never felt so sore. I look into his eyes and all I see is how much I want my future to be with him, forever... "You can't leave me without answers, please! How do you know she will tell anyone?"

"Demeter doesn't forget." He says simply. "She confronted me herself. She told me you failed your side of the agreement. What agreement?"

I let out a struggled sob and grip his hands tighter. "She came and threatened me. It wasn't an agreement by a long shot. She wanted me to make sure that Hades and Persephone's marriage wouldn't be tolerated."

"She threatened you?" Ares growls. "I'll make sure she suffers for it. What right does she have to order you about like that?"

"I arranged them together in the first place to spite her," I mumble.

I expect Ares to not be too impressed with this confession but he suddenly chuckles. "I know, but she blames you?"

"If I stood on Hades side or not they would have still won. My judgement made no difference." I find myself pointing. "Her threat shouldn't mean anything."

"Still. Demeter doesn't play fair like that." Ares murmurs. "She will stand by her threat out of pride." He tips up my chin to kiss me lightly on the lips. "Our time will come. Don't worry..."

I shake my head. "No. I am the Goddess of love. I am supposed to be in control of how this goes. This isn't how love should work!"

Ares raises his eyebrows in amusement. "Love?"

I pause and let a blush sweep my cheeks. I hadn't meant to explicitly say love, per say. "We could fall in love..." I whisper shyly.

"Could? You don't feel love already?" He teases, grabbing my waist playfully.

My eyes widen and I'm speechless from embarrassment. It takes a solid minute before I'm able to open my mouth.

"Shh, save it. We have all the time in the world to say it when we can be together. Okay?" Ares says lowly into my ear.

I nod, a few stray tears wetting my cheeks. "Okay." I trust him, and I go along with everything he says next.

"Now. We have two options, sweet." He tells me seriously but gently. "We can end this all now. It would be abrupt and it would hurt and be humiliating for Hephaestus, but I could take you home with me tonight and make you my wife."

I shiver at the thought and lean into his touch. "Oh, I do so want to be your wife..." I murmur with hooded eyes before shaking my head. "You are right though...it would be absolutely humiliating to leave Hephaestus so suddenly like that and it would hurt him so to come home to me telling him I have fallen for you and that I'm leaving already." I whisper regretfully. "No...I couldn't do that to him."

"I would pity the poor bastard too. Demeter would use it to her advantage and ruin us as well for what we've been doing. It would be impossible to deny our affair if you left him now and married me right after." Ares mumbles, resting his forehead to mine as we stay in our tight embrace. Our hands can barely part with each other.

"What else could I do?"

"Give it time. Demeter will soon see we aren't seeing each other and grow bored of her threats. She will spy on you with other Gods watching you as well. We won't be able to see each other for a long time." He kisses my forehead. "But when it's finally over and no one remembers their suspicions any longer you can tell Hephaestus you can't stay with him. He must know you don't love him and he will understand and thank you for leaving him respectfully and not sneaking around behind his back anymore instead."

I nod. "He knows. Should I start distancing myself from him to make it less painful when I leave?"

Ares shrugs. "He might suspect something, but it's either that or make the last bit of your marriage the best you can."

"I suppose that might be best." I agree.

Ares growls and draws me back to him. "That will make it more painful for me. I hate the idea of him touching you." He kisses me on the mouth lustfully. "You're mine."

I giggle like a little girl. "You? Jealous of Hephaestus?"

"He has what I want." Ares protests. "So, yes."

I kiss the God of war once more before finally asking the one last detail that has been bugging me. "How long until you return?"

Ares thinks for a moment before answering grimly. "I think about five or six months would provide enough time."

I swallow the lump in my throat and agree silently. "Okay, but please, make love to me once more before you go."

"I was planning on it." He nips my bottom lip seductively. "At least once."