The Envious Goddesses

*Hera pictured above*

The Goddesses quickly took me aside, securing me away from the still remaining lustful eyes of the Gods.

"Scoundrels, all of them!" Hera hisses as she leads me to her quarters of the palace. I suppose this turned out to be where she and Zeus lived, and her husband was Zeus...I felt some sympathy towards her, seeing how evident it was that Zeus had no issue in allowing his eyes to stray away from his wife. 

It was clear she wasn't fond of any of the Gods in general because of their lustful eyes.

As we were in the privacy of her bedroom she finally speaks again. "I suppose, Hephaestus will make a well enough husband for you. My son will be...faithful...and he's very talented. I'm sure he will create many gifts for you." She sighs, turning away from me.

The rest of the Goddesses bustled behind me, quickly creating a dress for me as I watched her wrestle through her assortment of clothes and accessories. She may be looking on my behalf, but she certainly didn't seem pleased about it. 

Under her breath, I could hear her protests. "I wish he wouldn't create some bogus wedding out of the blue in MY home without consulting with me. No less he has to choose the poor husband for the bride as if-" 

My attention is turned away by Athena. "Here, let's get you dressed." She smiles simply, her eyes not truly meeting mine. I furrow my brow but allow her to clothe me with a tight piece of fabric around my waist. "This is a girdle." She explains. "It seems to fit you well." 

I nod indeed, taking a look at myself in the mirror. I cannot help but grin from ear to ear already. I did not realize the beauty that I had already possessed could be accentuated like this. "I like it." I gasp happily. 

"Of course you do." Hera huffs from behind. Her attitude was slowly but surely pushing me past pleasantness but there was no way I would speak back to such an important Goddess so soon after meeting her. Especially right before my wedding in her home. 

Athena and Artemis help me into my wedding gown and tie the corset back as tightly as possible. Athena quickly brushed out my long, blonde hair, and quickly pinned some of it back to show more of my face. 

"Anything on her face?" Artemis murmurs, only half interested. 

"Why? She doesn't need it! Do you want another uproar the second she steps out there? Do you want the Gods frothing at the mouth?" Hera snaps with a short laugh. "I certainly don't need it in my home. Not tonight." 

Hera steps in front of me and looks me over, clicking her tongue as she does so. "Good enough." She shrugs, before whisking away. 

"Hera has a problem with insecurity," Artemis explains once she's disappeared from sight. "With me, you won't have to worry about that." 

I nod to her, thankful for her input, but also a tad sour towards Hera. She would treat me so oddly, and perhaps even rudely, simply because I was born with beauty? 

Athena takes her leave. "I'll see the decorations are put up for you. Then we will let you know when the wedding is ready to commence." 

Artemis and Demeter stay behind with me. Demeter finally approaches me. "Don't forget Athena, Artemis." She sighs. "That Goddess can get a stick of jealously stuck up her rear sometimes too." 

They both nod in agreement, as my cheeks flush. I was nearly sorry that I was this beautiful. The only use I have so far is the amusement of the Gods. All that has earned me is the hateful looks of my fellow Goddesses.

Perhaps...Artemis will become my only friend in this life?

"If jealousy and envy are the most of troubles, you haven't anything to worry about it, girl." Demeter lightly lifts her chin. Then she takes a small, gold and delicately detailed belt and secures it around my waist. It went with my dress rather nicely. "Hera won't miss it." She winks. "See, Artemis and I can be your allies if you need. The other girls will only see your beauty as a terrible thing. All we suggest is be careful of the men. Never allow them to own you or control you. Don't allow your beauty to become your weakness with them as well. Be honourable, and you won't have an issue with us, girl." 

Artemis nods in agreement. "Yes, if anything, use your beauty as a weapon against them. They'll likely do anything you ask of them either way, but don't be fooled when they pledge their love for you. The only one you have for now to stay true to you is Hephaestus. He will protect you too."

Demeter crosses her arms and scoffs. "I don't know about pleasing you, though. That is a whole other matter on its own - but then again, perhaps you are a Goddess that does not concern herself with such things." 

I frown, immediately disagreeing with that possibility. 

"No, no." Artemis reads my expression. "She is not like us, Demeter. She likes the men." She nearly smiles in amusement. "And there is nothing wrong with that as long as that lust doesn't control you and get out of hand." 

Demeter grumbles lowly. "Sure, but for now, I suggest you keep your priorities in order and stay true to your damn husband. At least until you know the world that we live in. Your first inclination shouldn't be exploring the world of men of all things. We live in a more important world than that." 

"How so?" I murmur. "What else is there to life?" 

"You can occupy yourself with your duties." Artemis answers. "You are the Goddess of love and beauty, so you are responsible for such. Responsible for the relationships of the mortals and the Gods in some cases." 

I slowly smile to myself. "The mortals? I am to be responsible for their happiness?" 

"Happiness? No. Love? Yes." Demeter is quick to correct me. "It isn't the same." 

"What are you responsible for?" I ask Demeter. 

"I am in charge of the harvest. The mortals food that they need to survive." She answers. "While I am responsible for their way of living physically, many find themselves lonely without love. You can change that." 

I smile brightly to myself. I fear for my own love life...but perhaps, being among the mortals and helping them find their own love can bring me substantial happiness. I begin to drift off in thought as we wait for the wedding to begin. 

Demeter quickly shakes me out of my trance before I know it. "Everyone is ready for you to come out now. It's time to unite the two of you." 

I nod nervously and follow her and Artemis.