Bride

*Hephaestus shown above. Not as horribly deformed as some of the myths say, but I'm still depicting him with a limp, and a little rough around the edges, and maybe not as ridiculously handsome as most Gods.*

"My marriage?" I hadn't thought it was necessary. The Gods proposing on the spot had been amusing, but I hadn't thought it was a requirement as a Goddess. 

I look to Zeus with pleading eyes. "Must I really marry? So soon?" 

Zeus shakes his head. "These Gods will be fighting with every tooth and nail they have until they get their hands on you. You'll need a husband to look after you, trust me." Zeus concludes. 

"What do you mean? Fighting for me?" My heart fluttered with slight excitement. I'm not sure I'll ever grow tired of this never-ending attention, but I'm not so sure about being unprotected...I do need a place to call home. I certainly can't return to the sea or the beach. 

Zeus nods, exhaling with a laugh. "I guarantee you'll be taken away by sunset whether you like it or not. Better off having someone at your side to make sure that doesn't happen. I can tell you'll be a promiscuous one, but a poor girl like you doesn't want her first time to be done by force." 

I lightly giggle, "Who says it will be by force? I have a lot of experiences to catch up on." 

Zeus stares at me dumbfounded but pleased. "I like what you're insinuating, but don't be foolish, girl. It is much more enjoyable otherwise, trust me. A husband will show you that." 

A smile came to my lips and I silently agreed. Was he hinting that we would have fun together? Would he take me as a wife? 

"Now...what's the best way to handle this?" Zeus mumbles to himself as he paces away from me, his eyes scanning the Gods present. "Now, a husband must be chosen for Aphrodite right away. This must be done both for her protection, and to keep the peace on Mount Olympus. We don't need a war erupting for her hand, and I certainly don't wish to see you at each other's throats. Let's avoid all that entirely by just marrying her off. She's claimed, and therefore no one else's to take." He addresses the rest of those present. Many groaned and rolled their eyes at his announcement for some reason...I must be missing some kind of secret joke.  

I scan the room as well, biting my lip enticingly. I could feel the blood pumping through my veins in anticipation of any of these God's touch...to belong to one of them and be their lover was all I wanted in the present moment. I can see their gazes connect with mine, eyes wide and bright with lustful thoughts. I dare say I could read all their minds as they hungrily thought about me...

"Father, I have yet to find a bride." Apollo insists, standing confidently. 

"Brother, I have waited for the longest for a bride. Your son has all the time in the world. I have a whole Kingdom to give to the girl. She is the child of the sea. Surely, the sea is the best home for her!" Poseidon fired, clearly at an advantage already. 

My eyes darted between the two, a furious blush across my cheeks. Strangely I was not drawn to either of them and equally liked them both. Strangely though... I couldn't imagine a marriage with either of them. Could I stay true to one or the other and not get a taste of both of them? 

No, I don't think I could. I fought the naughty thoughts as I listen to the loud debates between the Gods. Finally, Zeus yells out, his voice erupting like thunder. "That's enough! This is exactly what I wished to avoid. I'm selecting the husband, and that is final!" 

He huffs and looks over the room one more time. "Now, who is actually going to be a good husband to this girl?" He mutters to himself. Finally, his eyes light up. "Ah, I feel that there's no one else that would cherish you the most." He gently pushes me forward toward the last corner of the room that we visited.

My heart pounded as I saw we were approaching Ares. Oh, goodness. What if I am to marry him? I cannot tell if such a thought excites me or makes me nervous. The same bubbly feeling fills me either way. He is fearsome and terribly handsome - possible even more handsome than all the rest in my eyes. Yes! Yes, I think he would be perf-

"Hephaestus." Zeus gloats, placing me in front of the crippled God. My eyes widen with surprise. We had barely just passed Ares. I had thought for certain that he would be the one but Zeus wants to give me to his brother. 

Hephaestus grumbles in protest. "No, no, clearly she wouldn't want me. I'm nothing but a mongrel in comparison to her. Surely, Apollo or Poseidon would be better." He looks down in shame. "...Or my brother. He is still in need of a bride as well." 

"He's young, just like Apollo he has all the time in the world and half the time he is off at war, leaving her behind most of the time no doubt. You have been lonely long enough and I...know you'll take care of her." Zeus replies, a small hint of disdain in his voice. He is uncertain of his choice, but I can sense he would rather this than giving me to his own brother, Poseidon. Perhaps, he would be much too jealous if I were his brother's wife. 

"I-I" I stutter simply. I would never reject Hephaestus. I can see he has the kindest heart here, and I know he would take care of me...but would I truly be sated with him? Would I spend my nights lonely and unsatisfied with him? 

 "See, she doesn't want him," Ares growls, looking over to me and his brother, a frown on his face. 

"She'll be fine." Zeus simply states. "It's settled then. We'll arrange the marriage for tonight!"

I watch as he walks away, leaving me in front of a stunned Hephaestus. As he left and went back to his throne, I saw his parting glare with Ares, and at that moment I realize why he hadn't given me to him. 

I fear that Zeus claims he is marrying me to Hephaestus so that I am taken care of, but another underlying reason is clear.

He hates his son Ares. I can feel it fuming off of him now at just the sight of him, and nothing else would have made Ares more furious, than for me to be given to his crippled, and clearly inferior brother. 

However, that does prove something else. Something that I had hoped for.

Ares, the God of War, does want me.