The Meadow

"How am I ever supposed to leave your arms after you say something like that?" I pout and pull him closer, savouring the feeling of his warmth. "I can't tell you how much I've wanted you to say that, how much I've wanted to tell you that I love you too." I kiss the top of his dark head and nearly let a tear fall...but I can't allow myself to or else I'll become a blubbering mess.

I'm not quite ready to let him see me like that.

"For a long time, I thought I was crazy to think this was anything more than lust." He admits with his gruff voice. "That it was insane to think of you as anything more than a gorgeous woman I couldn't have no matter how much it pained me. I never thought of anyone as anything more..."

My breath catches in my throat.

"But you are more than that." Ares shakes his head, still awed in disbelief at his own feelings.

I don't know whether to be insulted that I was just a possession he wanted to own initially or be jubilant that that is no longer the case.

I suppose I would be lying if I claimed I didn't see him the same way when I first spotted him. I wanted him before I knew him...simple lust, but now something much more.

"You're vindictive, you're spiteful, you're selfish, you're..." He chuckles before ending his own sentence. "I can't imagine what makes either of us a decent God or Goddess, but I sure can't stop thinking about you."

"And I about you." I murmur, ignoring his painfully observant comments on my personality for a moment, instead choosing to fire back just as playfully. "And you're power-hungry, reckless and impulsive."

"You're impulsive too. Why else would you be here, right now, Blondie? While your husband lies alone waiting for you?" He smirks, eyeing my lips hungrily before kissing them.

"He isn't up waiting for me...and only you make me impulsive." I lightly protest while his lips attack my neck.

"That's not true either. You've done a lot of things that did not involve me that were impulsive." He mutters, a teasing tone to his rough, sigh-inducing voice.

"Like what?"

"Your decision to walk into Olympus completely naked. Who does that?" He grins from ear to ear. "You just wanted us to all look at you and gawk, didn't you?"

"Well, did you?" I look down at him with a mischievous smile.

"The entire world stopped and looked, Blondie."

"I thought you had come around to calling me Aphrodite finally?" I roll my eyes, hiding my smile.

"It's endearing. Anyway, to continue with your list of impulsive actions...your affair with Hermes wasn't exactly well thought out." He looks to me with disapproval. "I'll never forget he had you before I did."

"And neither will I." I mutter. "I don't exactly know what I ever saw in him that made him so appealing. I suppose it was because he was available and not my husband." I shrug my shoulders, still holding him close. "I was just too bored to really think..." I trail off as he smirks at me. "Fine! Fine! I see what you mean..."

He embraces me tightly before letting go, making my heart plummet with disappointment. "Are you going?"

"I should. Your husband isn't the only one up waiting for you anymore." Ares grumbles sadly.

I stand slowly, sadness sweeping over me. The moment is ending so soon...too soon for it to be fair. "Just a little longer..." I murmur. "I know we likely both have to go to Olympus tomorrow but losing sleep is worth staying longer."

"I can't disagree with that."

We both lay down in the grass, gazing up at the stars for what feels like only a few minutes...

And then the minutes turned to hours when my eyes closed for one second too long.

...........

When the sun shined directly into my eyes I was jolted awake.

I let out a frustrated yell and get to my feet in an instant, only turning around to give Ares a gentle slap. "You let us fall asleep!"

Ares grumbles at the sight of the sun reflecting off my blonde hair. The sight must be quite blinding...but I don't care.

"Get up!" I bat at his head once more. "Who knows how late we are!"

"Just get your pretty, little arse back home and you'll find out. No one cares if I even show." Ares grunts, unmoving.

"Excuse me!" I shriek, tugging on his arm angrily. "It's only your son, after all! Whether or not people know it, you should be there!"

Ares sighs. "Okay, I'll go. For you." He sends me a sly smile. "Does that make you happy?"

"If this day doesn't suffocate me, perhaps...and if Hephaestus didn't notice I didn't come home last night. Hopefully Eros stayed asleep." I say tiredly. "I'm expecting the worst."

"It might not be." Ares challenged.

"It likely will be." I frown. "Now, we better say goodbye so I can be on my way." I hold out my arms quickly and he brings me close to him.

I held him tight, but briefly.

"I will see you when I'm able." Ares whispers softly to me before giving me a quick but sweet kiss.

"I'll be counting the seconds." I say, leaning away reluctantly.

He briefly runs his hand through my hair, tucking it behind my ear. "Good." He chuckles before we part our ways.

Him casually walking, while I run like the wind.

When I reach the house I can see movement inside. I clamp my mouth shut and approach the back door instead of the front, hoping I would find an opening to sneak in.

I walk in quietly, scouting the surrounding area for any presence...only to find none. Quickly, I make my way to my bedroom and find Eros.

He opens his eyes, still silent, as I pick him up and tend to him.

Finally, after another few moments of dreadful silence, Hephaestus calls for me from the kitchen. "Aphrodite! Are you awake?"

I swallow the remaining dread and exit the bedroom with Eros in my arms. "Yes, husband." I call softly. "I am just feeding Eros."

He pauses while I cringe. "Are you nearly finished?"

"Shortly will be." I reply, trying to hurry my son up...if such a thing is possible.

Hephaestus emerges from nowhere and spies us both. "Oh." He says it abruptly and I nearly jump.

"What?" I say worriedly.

"Your dress. Its the same from yesterday." He comments flatly.

My mouth opens in shock. "Oh...t-thats right. I fell asleep feeding Eros last night and I didn't have time to change. I'll get on a different one the moment I'm finished." I ramble.

"Sure." Hephaestus simply replies, turning away. "So, what's the story we're going with? He's a mortals or mine?"

"I don't see how it's anyone's business anyhow." I mumble under my breath.

"Aphrodite. Someone is bound to ask and they will pry until they know." He says seriously, unrelenting.

I stare back, understanding this.

He waits for an answer.

"Can you hold Eros while I change?" I ask simply, holding him out.

"Yes." He says, clearly disappointed.

But I can't concern myself with it.

I just don't know what to say.