The Chase

"Correct." His husky voice vibrates through me, causing a shiver to cascade itself down my spine. The chemistry was undeniable, but I couldn't bring myself to have a conversation with him in the presence of my husband. I can still see him with his back turned.

 I promised. 

 "I-I can't..." I murmur regretfully. I pull away from his hold and make my way to Hephaestus defiantly. The vibrations ran through me like lightning bolts, but I fought them. I know who I should be standing beside. He doesn't care if I fool around, but I won't hurt him like this by flirting with Ares or even allowing him to flirt with me. I know once I let him say what he has to say, I'll let things go too far. I can't do that to him. 

 Hephaestus looks up and sees me approaching. "Hello?" He pulls his wine glass away from his lips and sets it down. He wobbles just a tad, leaning to his cane for extra support in his surprise at seeing me. 

 I beam, genuinely charmed by him for once. I have been taking him for granted thus far. He is loyal, trustworthy, understanding, even humourous...yet, I am the greedy one who can't help but lust for those that I can't have. Perhaps, I am only attracted to Ares because I am forbidden from it. Such a terrible tragedy that is...and I don't want to allow it to escalate any further when I already have someone right in front of me. 

 "Hello." I smile lightly and hook my arm with his. I thought about kissing him and making a scene in front of everyone. A possessive kiss to ensure Ares knows that I already have a man at my side and I chose to run after him rather than run off with him in the hidden hallways of Olympus. However, I decided against it. Hephaestus would know it was fake and just for show the moment he saw who was watching. I don't want him to think like that, and that is what matters. His opinion, that is.

 Despite this, Hephaestus is bound to notice his brother's presence. His eyes were already drifting past me, connecting with his closest enemy who was unfortunately still plastered just where I had left him, rejected and furious. I could feel Ares's pride bursting from here, in the form of anger. 

 "Oh, Lord." Hephaestus laughs loudly. "I didn't know you had such resistance. I guess I should have given you more credit, gorgeous." He winks, but it is clear he only does as such because of the booze. He isn't so straightforward otherwise. 

 "Come on, let's get you home." I smile and look around the room as I wrap my arm around his waist. "You've drunk a little bit too much." I hiss into his ear. "Let's go." 

 "Ridiculous. You just can't resist him if he's in the same room. You're even avoiding looking at him right now." Hephaestus chuckles drunkenly. "You don't care about getting me home, you don't plain care about me at all." He mumbles sadly. 

 "Shush. Of course, I do. Now, please, can we leave?" I sigh. 

 Hephaestus stares at me for a moment. "No, I don't think so. I want to stick around and see how this goes." He pulls away from me, confidently taking his own stance without the help of his cane and walks away from me towards the others, leaving me on my own with Ares still nearby. 

 Is he challenging me? Taunting me? Does he secretly wish to see me fail? Or does he want to be truly proud of me when I'm able to face it head-on and still resist? I'm leaning towards the latter, letting myself believe for now that he does genuinely want me as his wife, but as a loyal one. I can understand that. 

 I stand there alone, with no Goddess to talk to, nor any other distraction. Instead of fleeing, I challenge myself and allow my eyes to waver towards the God of War. He stood still, watching me curiously. His anger at my apparent rejection had smothered, as it was obvious enough now that I had only done so in order to please my husband. It was not of my own accord. 

I couldn't look away. He was so mesmerizing. I could sense his strength...his power. It radiated off of him like the hot, beaming sun rays shining from the sun, the most powerful star in the sky. He wore red and black. His helmet remained off, but his armour was still present, concealing his chest as if to tease me. As his dark eyes met mine, my breath caught in my throat and I cursed myself. 

 I can't do this. I can't resist. So, I flee. I quickly bolt away to the laboratory to get some privacy, but I can hear his footsteps behind me. They echo loudly, and I know without a doubt it's him. 

Why does he have to torture me so? He catches up to me easily, powerfully pushing me against the wall. "Come on, what's going on? Why are you teasing me like this?" 

 I gasp, my entire body leaning towards his touch against my will. "I can't..." I trail off and then simply shake my head. 

 "He told you to stay away from me, didn't he?" He growls. 

 "He...he did," I whisper, looking at the ground. "And I should." 

 Ares releases me and backs away. "Yes, I agree you should. That doesn't mean I can't pursue you, does it?" 

 My cheeks redden wildly as I imagine him courting me, besotted by me from afar. Forbidden love, and all that mushy stuff taking over my brain. "No, I suppose it doesn't mean anything except I should resist the best I can. A girl can't help what happens if she falls for someone when she isn't even in love to begin with." I whisper, a small smile creeping onto my lips. I hated myself instantly, Hephaestus's promise echoing within my head. 

 He leans close, his dark hair nearly wisping against my cheek. "Exactly. But, for now, I'm not saying anything about love." He sniggers, and then leans away in the same moment. "I'll see you another time, blondie. I'll try to stay away from you as long as I can." He winks. 

 I finally allow myself to breathe. "You've been trying to stay away from me already? Haven't you?" 

 He smirks, eyeing me up and down. "As hard as I can. Trust me, it's proven to be my biggest challenge yet. I won't hold on forever." 

 I inhale sharply as he walks away, watching him closely. I had tried my best and succeeded. I didn't allow anything to happen physically...but emotionally, I was running wild. Hephaestus was right. 

I do like to be chased.