Debate Part 1

The following day I get ready for the debate solemnly. Hephaestus lightly rushed me, even though I was barely paying attention to my appearance. For the first time ever to an event at Olympus I was wearing a modest dress, covering me pretty decently fully up top and the skirt extended all the way to the floor.

I didn't care about much right now.

Today is going to be a disaster. My one match that I am genuinely proud of despite its issues may have to come to an end and I have no power to stop it...despite it being in my field.

It's either that or my hopes at happiness are vanquished...I just have to decide which is more important.

My husbands dignity or my own chance at love.

My delightful love match or the destruction of it.

Hephaestus lightly holds my hand as we enter the gates of Olympus. We're immediately greeted by Zeus who there on leads us to a long oval shaped table. Nervously I take in the people sitting at it already, opposing each other menacingly.

Are they serious?

It's clear they've arranged everyone on opposite sides for a reason. Those who agree with the match versus those who are against it.

Hera eyes me immediately, looking down at her side of the table. She clicks her tongue and waits for me to sit, which I can't bring myself to do quite yet. It's clear she's looking out for Demeter.

I wring my clammy hands together and instead wait for my husband to choose first. That will perhaps allow me to see where he stands and thus make my decision easier.

To my surprise he sits on the left, supporting the marriage. It brings me a second of pride witnessing him support my match in such a way, but it surprisingly does not help me.

I watch as the rest make their choice, while some stand undecided like me.

"Wasn't this your match? Why are you so uncertain about it?" Poseidon teases me, bringing all eyes towards me.

I shiver under everyone else's gaze and blush. "I was inexperienced. I don't know if it was such a good idea anymore."

"Me either. All I know is that Demeter needs something to set her straight." He elbows me playfully. "She's rejected me one too many times."

I grimace. Great, that's the only argument he has to not take her side.

"Isn't there anything else that compels you to believe they belong together?" I murmur quietly, shifting under Hephaestus' curious gaze now, observing me speaking to his uncle somewhat enviously.

"Sure, there are other reasons." He shrugs confidently while taking a look at what others have chosen. "I am a fan of couples that go against the grain." His voice comes off quite intensely and I bite my lip.

He's staring at me now, while Hephaestus stares at me.

What am I afraid of? This isn't Ares flirting with me. I'm not breaking any of the rules.

So, finally, I smile. "Tell me more."

"I think they could be good for each other. Opposites attract, don't you agree?" He turns to me. "The Goddess who brings life to the spring and the keeper of those that are dead? It brings balance to the world, doesn't it? Teaches them both something about the opposite side of the world."

He's speaking clearly but I struggle with the hidden message he's sending with his eyes.

"I think I've chosen." He finally winks after a moment of awkward silence.