Interesting Choice

"Excuse me, prego." Hades slid by me without even looking at me. I watched him as he approached the little Persephone. He already seems to be fascinated with the new Goddess already for some unknown reason. Why not give him a little push to the inevitable?

I clear my throat loudly. "H-hades!" I call as loudly as I could. "I need to speak to you."

He looks back absentmindedly. "Really? I think it can wait."

I clench my fists nervously as he dismisses me. Thankfully, Apollo gets his hands on the kid first, giving Hades no excuse but to turn back. He was going to wait anyways.

"Fine, what is it?" He sighs loudly. He saunters back, less than impressed. "Whatever it is, it can't be that important. I don't even know you." He looks me up and down, almost causing me to turn on my heel and leave that instant, but I hold my ground.

"You know what, forget it. I just wanted to be acknowledged because I'm spoiled and conditioned to feed off attention and you breeze past me as if I'm a piece of dirt." I sass under my breath. I have to hold myself back from spitting on his shoe. "Or at least that's all you think of me."

He stares at me quizzically. "Alright, prego. You need to learn to feed off of other things because you're not getting anything from me." He turns away, exhausted at the thought of speaking to anyone, clearly.

My eyes narrow as my humiliation transferred to fury. He needs someone to love, and it'll be painful. He needs that reality check...and Hera was right. He deserves that torment. To fall in love with a girl who does not even reside in the same realm as him, would be insatiable for him. The poor girl will be cursed, but she does not have to feel the same way if he even dares to go after her.

Hades picks up the girl, clearly only intending to hold her for a second. I'll have to act fast. Quickly, I shove by my confused husband and approach him from behind. I tug the belt from my waist and whip it in his direction. The glowing, golden belt grazed his back. I pull it back immediately, securing it around my waist before anyone even noticed. I waited anxiously for him to jerk in surprise or yelp in anger. The humans never seemed to notice when I used it, but I haven't the slightest clue how a God would react. I pray they won't feel it either.

Hades simply pauses, stiffens his back, and reluctantly hands back the child. His lingering gaze is enough proof that it worked. Not fully, as she's still a child, but he's seen pure innocence, pure beauty, and adoration. He would do anything for her, and his mind will never stray from her.

I smirk, and as Hades turns, he avoids me and leaves. He boards his chariot and whips his horses into motion without another word or a goodbye. Zeus grumbles under his breath and the rest of the Gods resume to what they were doing.

"Interesting choice." My husband comments. "What made you do that? Just a moment ago you wanted him yourself."

"Mind your own business." I blush and swivel away, passing by Hera angrily as I make my way to the private laboratories.

She follows me insensibly, a smirk of satisfaction plastered on her face. "That sure does work wonders. I'm nearly glad I gave you the damn thing in the first place for Hephaestus to enchant."

I growl and turn to confront her in the middle of the hallway. "It was useless without Hephaestus's expertise. Nevermind my magic." 

"Sure, but nevertheless, job well done." She curtsies jokingly. "I'll be interested to see how it plays out in a few years once she's grown. Then we'll see how the little vile thing does then." She winks and turns to leave.

"Hold on." I gasp, grabbing her shoulder roughly. "You mean to tell me you look forward to seeing what this does to Persephone? The child only?"

"Exactly." Hera scoffs. "Hades is an absent scoundrel, who's never personally offended me but he was the perfect candidate. He's the last person whom Demeter would want her child to be with, and he is also someone who makes sure he always gets what he wants. The little girl won't even have a choice." She half-smiles, clearly pleased with herself. "It was absolutely perfect he showed up today of all days. This is the most wonderfully fated day of my life. Demeter will never seduce my husband ever again after this."

My mouth lay open in shock. Sympathetic shock for the poor child. Who knows what Hades will do to have her once she becomes old enough. "You can wish the girl all the bad fortune you want just because she was fathered by your disloyal husband, but it will be overruled by my belt. No matter what, I have still bestowed upon them a gift. They will be happy in the end."

Hera smiles knowingly. "Enjoy the rest of your night, Aphrodite. Keep your mouth shut about this and no one will know you are just as disloyal to my son as my husband is to me." She whisks herself away, heading to her own room for the night.

"Love will overpower your ill wishes!" I scream behind her. I couldn't care less if anyone else heard.

After taking a moments pause to calm myself in the barren hallway, I slowly walk back to the feast that was still in progress. Voices bustled still, as greetings were thrown at late newcomers. Laughter surely could have covered up Hera and myself's entire conversation alone. I have nothing to worry about.

Without any other direction to go towards, I look to the ground and walk towards my husband, who stood with his back facing me. He stood on his lonesome, pouring himself his fifth glass of wine.

I would have made it to him and kept my trap clamped closed for the entire rest of the night if not for the unexpected surprise.

"Thought I might see you here." A firm hand grasped my bare shoulder and I melted into his touch immediately, my ears humming with happiness at the sound of his husky voice.

I say his name lowly in a breathy whisper, barely able to turn and face him in fear I may be guessing his identity incorrectly.

"Ares?"