A Plan to Kidnap

Athena sends me a furious glance the moment the Prince announces the winner. 

I nearly expected Hera to be my biggest fear, but at least she expected to be less favoured than Athena. While Hera was still fair, she was also unlikeable and intimidating. She had to know this about herself...but as for Athena. She is just plain favoured, and losing to a dumb-minded, little slut like me just wasn't an acceptable possibility. 

"You little whore. What did you offer him? Yourself?" Athena screeches, Hera close behind to back her up. "Are you going to slink away with him behind the bushes the moment we leave?"

I back away, the crowd awing in unison at the confrontation before them. My face was already cherry red with embarrassment. The Goddess is a different type of intimidating than Hera. While Hera exerts a cruel attitude, Athena is fierce, and being a little snobby and forcing me to marry someone is a little less frightening than being skinned alive by Athena. 

I hold up my hands in surrender. "I did nothing but offer him the greatest gift." I breathe heavily as Athena draws her sword and points it directly at my tender throat. 

"Lies!" She simply hisses, stepping forward another step. She stared me down once more, cockily looking me up and down. "Oh, though I suppose offering yourself wouldn't be quite so tempting while you're still pregnant with your bastard child." 

I back farther away, my hands still up while no one came to my rescue. Sweat poured down the middle of my bare back as my secret was revealed in front of everyone. 

Why would she say that? How would she know?

"It's obvious. Hera knows and so do others. You think Hermes doesn't know either?" Athena hisses quietly as if speaking lower would tone down my mortification. 

Thank goodness my husband isn't here. I would hate for him to see me like this. 

"He told me himself, just as he has already told others." Athena shakes her head while Hera smirks behind her. "We're not idiots. We know you couldn't stay true to the husband given to you. You're far too superficial and self-serving. You're fortunate enough to even know who the father is." 

I let the humiliation seep through the crowd and let their gossip flourish in my presence. There was nothing to be done. It was already too late. 

Is this why Hermes hasn't bothered to speak a word to me? Does he not care for his child?

"How about you forfeit yourself from the competition and we'll consider not spilling the beans of your little secret to every single person in Olympus," Hera suggests tauntingly. "Including your dear husband. I suspect you are warming up to him now...when it's far too late. I'm sure he will be crushed to hear the vile thing you're carrying isn't even his." 

I shake my head weakly. "Go ahead. He already knows, and he doesn't care." 

Hera is taken aback for only a second. "Wow, my son's ego is even lower than I anticipated. Especially if he chooses to still stand beside a tramp like you." 

"I wouldn't say that he has much of an ego, no." I agree through clenched teeth. "But I suppose that is the result of abandonment and rejection from his own parents." 

Hera glares at me with fire in her eyes. 

"How about next time you look in the mirror before judging your poor infants worth on looks. Maybe next time you won't throw him off of Olympus." I bite back. "Perhaps, next time, you'll learn some humility. He got his looks from you after all!" 

Hera slaps my face abruptly. I had never been slapped before...and the pain stung, but not as terrible as I expected. I reel back immediately and slap her right back, astonishing her more than actually physically hurting her. 

She gasps and leans back to slap me again. I could see the strength in her biceps as she threw her arm behind her in preparation for the blow. I whimper and cover my face before falling to my knees. "Please! Have honour, and repeal the Prince's demands. Perhaps, offering him another gift similar to mine will change his mind." 

To my surprise, she hesitates. Both Hera and Athena exchange glances before nodding in agreement. 

I stand to my feet, my stance wavering while looking about at the crowd who still watched attentively. I wipe off my knees, my face flushed.  

"Fine." Athena states before bustling off to the watching Prince. She approaches, smiling as she says her offer loudly. "I will make you the greatest warrior to rule your people." 

Hera steps beside her, offering her gift. "And I will give you an extension of your rulership." She raises her chin proudly while she pauses. "Of all of Asia and Europe." 

My face whitens. Is it possible he favours power more than his love?

Part of me wishes to smite him with a loveless life if he dares to choose another winner...but I would hate to fall down some vengeful path.

However...it's not like I wouldn't be any different than any of the other Gods. No better, no worse. I would merely be their equal.

My expression darkens as the Princes eyes glance past me. It was look of warning on my part and I wasn't about to lose.

He could become a warrior on his own. He could also conquer on his own...but there will be no hope for him if I ensure he never gets a bride.

He doesn't hesitate for long. His gaze connecting with mine to give me the reassurance that I am the true Goddess of beauty.

"Aphrodite is the fairest of them all." He stands to announce the final decision once again.

Hera growls her disapproval. Athena merely shakes her head. I could see her intentions to attack, but I was saved before I even had to cower. Zeus steps in front of me.

"We will honour the verdict. Aphrodite has earned her right and she competing just as fairly as you. Her offer was simply better..." He pauses with a smirk. "And she is clearly more fair than the both of you."

His own wife is the image of fury as she stomps off. Athena departs separately, leaving me with the gossiping crowd and the giddy Prince.

"When shall I expect my prize, fair one?" He smiles to himself.

"Soon." I murmur. "I will have to kidnap her first." I say as my eyes follow the fair girl.

Of course, the girl is fond of the Prince, but that doesn't mean her parents are willing to part with her...