Iris

Hephaestus ponders on this rash promise for another few moments, leaning against the door frame while he comes to his delayed response.

"I suppose I could agree to that." He finally mumbles, peering down at me with distrust still apparent in his gaze.

I hold Eros and look down to him rather than continue with this charade. "Then that's that." I murmur softly. "You'll simply have to allow me a few days with Eros before-"

My husband holds up his hand before I even have to finish my sentence. "Just take care of yourself then."

We both nod in agreement and he leaves me and the child alone in the room, the stillness of the room sitting in the air.

I fall asleep with the child in my arms, cuddling my boy in a way I never cuddled my firstborn.

I can feel good things in the future for this one...I don't know if I will ever be able to let him go.

And the first girl that comes into his life will surely have something coming for her.

I can't help but laugh at the thought. He isn't even a day old and I already fear chasing girls away from him. He'll be a looker, I can already tell.

A dangerously handsome God.

I nearly laugh out loud at the thought of the dozens and dozens of girls and goddesses falling at my marvelous son's feet, begging for his attention just as men fall at my feet. He will learn the struggles of being irresistible just as I have. What a wonderful, wonderful curse it is...

A curse that won me his father the moment he saw me.

I blush thinking of him...and sadly come to the conclusion how long it will be before he can see his child. Even so...I will have to inform him somehow of the glorious news. Whenever I can find my way to Hermes, that is...and then find a way to tell him I've had his child without having Hermes spread that gossip around all over Olympus...only for that gossip to reach Hera's ears and then worse, Hephaestus's ears.

I drift off into sleep as the thoughts settle within my mind. Perhaps, I will have a solution when I awake...

*      *      *      *      *
When I awake, a handmaiden is gently removing Eros from my arms. "Hands off, idiot girl!" I shriek the second I get my senses in order and tug Eros away. "Who do you think you are to be taking my child out of my arms?" 

The frightened girl backs away with large eyes. "I apologize greatly, my dear Goddess. I was instructed by-" 

"Hephaestus!" I shout at the top of my lungs, waking Eros accidentally. I curse myself angrily having not avoided that. 

"He isn't here, my lady. He is working on a surprise for you." The girl quietly utters, crossing her arms in front of her protectively. 

"Do you think I'd hit you, girl? Just tell me yourself, what you are doing here." I realize I interrupted her before, but that doesn't need to be acknowledged. 

"I was brought here by your husband to help you take care of the child." She whispers fearfully. 

I sit on her answer for a few solid moments and hand my crying child to her. "Let it be then," I mutter, the attitude thick in my voice. 

I get up from the bed. "I'll leave you be with the child for a little while then. I need some air and will be taking a walk." I usher her outside of my bedroom and attempt to shut her out. I am about to before I hesitate and look to her with worry creasing my features. "I expect you know the importance of taking care of him? Of taking care of such a precious life?" 

"Of course, my lady." She nods her head, a small smile on her lips. 

She is innocent enough. I look her up and down to catch any sign of falsehood. "Good. His name is Eros." I tell her before closing the door promptly. 

I lean against the door for a few restful moments, pondering on the exact words I will have to tell the messenger when they arrive in the meadow. 

"I have excellent news for Ares, the God of war," I mumble to myself as I dress. "Please tell him..." I sigh greatly as I struggle to fasten the back of my dress. Does it not fit again yet? I screech in anger at the thought of being temporarily anything but my usual figure. Instead, I grab a loose fitting summer dress, as bright and yellow as the sun. "Please tell him..." I continue thinking aloud until I hear a knock on the door. 

"Do you need anything, my lady?" 

"No! Just keep Eros happy! When a lady talks to herself, usually she doesn't like anyone to eavesdrop!" I say spitefully. I just can't help it. The stress is getting to me and I have a stranger in my home while it's happening!

"I'm off now," I say bursting through the door. "Please tell my husband if he returns before I do that I would like a large glass of excellent red wine waiting for me when I return. I would love to have a lovely chit-chat with him over dinner about his decision to hire someone who scares me awake by grabbing my child with a wine glass in my hand." I close the front door while the girl stands shocked. The moment I close it, I open it again. "Oh, and I would love to see the gift he has made for my son as well. Let him know I am pleased by that fact, at least." I close the door this time. 

I make my way to the meadow, observing that the sun may already be setting soon. I cannot believe I slept through nearly the entire day of daylight...

Patiently, I sit in the middle of the meadow, awaiting the arrival of the familiar boy who I would rather forget is the father of my first child. 

To my surprise, however, he is not the one that arrives. 

"Aphrodite?" A woman's voice startles me from behind. "Are you the Goddess of Love I have heard so many things about?" 

I furrow my brows and stand to my feet in front of the angelic woman, observing her up and down several times before speaking. "I wish I could say I've heard of you." 

"I am Iris." The colourful Goddess grins to herself. "I am a messenger." 

"You're the damn colour of the rainbow. Are you sure you're not just the Goddess of colourful appearances in the sky?" I question her sassily. 

"I am sure. I answered your call instead of Hermes and I would be happy to deliver your message. Who are you wishing to contact?" Iris answers smoothly. 

"Ares, the God of war," I say neutrally, avoiding her eye contact to hide my excitement at the mere mention of his name. 

"Fascinating." She smiles. "I wouldn't expect such a glorious Goddess like yourself to need to contact such a violent, ghastly God. He is away doing some busy work, I assume, so it must be important." 

"It is," I answer without thinking. "Anyhow, all that you must tell him is that Aphrodite wishes for him to know that he has conquered..." I trail off awkwardly, still unknowing of how I was going to cleverly end that sentence. I don't even know this Goddess...If it was Hermes, I would be somewhat more concerned of what he thought of my message. Perhaps, since she is a woman, she will understand? 

Iris waits patiently. "Yes?" 

"Just tell him, a son has been born," I tell her barely audible, waiting for her shocked reaction. 

"A son." She repeats, to make sure she heard correctly. 

"Yes. A son." 

"His son?" She probes. 

"He will know. It doesn't matter if you understand it, does it?" I snap. 

Iris nods her head, her face unreadable. "Alright. He will hear it from me." She begins to walk away. "He will know before the sun sets in the West. However, I have a feeling you'll wish you treated me more politely, so-called Goddess of Love." 

I grimace and observe her with disgust. I want to respond and ask her what that was supposed to mean...but she was gone before I could utter another word.