EPILOGUE; Welcome Back

If you’re searching for a quote that puts your feelings into words--you won’t find it.
You can learn every language and read every word ever written--but you’ll never find what’s in your heart.

How can you? He has it.

Sunsets and sunrises were always so beautiful to him. But as Jihoon clenched his fingers around nothing but air, he knew they were never going to look the same to him again.

And yet there he was, sitting crossed legged on the bottom bunk, staring out of the window at the beautiful orange glow casted by the morning sun as his roommate snored loudly above him.

Jihoon couldn't remember how many times he had knocked on the bottom of Donghan's bed in the middle of the night to shut him up, but it only seemed to make it worse. But he'd gotten used to it after the 6 months of rooming with the red-head.

Sighing, Jihoon plugged in his earphones before leaning his arms against the windowpane. Eddie Kim's The Manuel began playing, drowning out all the noises around him, it's soft tunes sending calmness throughout his body.

He watched as the sun came up over the horizon, lighting up the buildings on the university campus. Closing his eyes, he sucked in a breath and pushed it back out.

It was going to be a new day.

A normal, new day.

Without the person he wanted by his side.

Maybe it was inevitable. The fact that you were both eventually going to drift apart after awhile. After all, distance was every relationship's greatest enemy.

You both had to study hard during the last year of highschool, and you just couldn't find a way to deal with the difference in time between New York and Seoul. Whenever Jihoon was asleep, you would have just woken up. Whenever Jihoon was awake, you'd be going to sleep.

He should've known that it wasn't going to be easy. So when the texts from both sides began to lessen with time, Jihoon did his best to accept things the way they were. Sure, he did miss you. The only thing keeping him going was his plan to get through university, find a proper job, and earn enough money to go back home.

No, not home to his parents' new apartment in downtown New York. But home to Seoul. Home beside you. With the smell of cookies and peaches and the sound of Woojin's pterodactyl screaming and your soft, soothing voice, telling him "welcome back."

The song playing through his earphones cut halfway through, followed by a sound to alert him of his phone's flat battery. Urgh, I forgot to charge it last night.

Jihoon sulked, pulled off his earphones and jumped off the bed towards his desk. Abandoning the scenery at the window.

It was going to be a new day.