33. The One With The Tough Luck

Have you ever been so flustered and confused that you thought your ears were deceiving you?

It was hard trying to pretend like everything was fine when you returned to school that day

First off, Jihoon was nowhere to be seen when you stepped inside the school block. Second, people were ocassionally giving you odd glances you couldn't really interpret.

How fast does news even travel in here?

You internally panicked when you stepped into your class and headed towards your seat. It was earlier than the time you usually came to school but half the class was already present. Among them was Lee Euiwoong, who strided up towards your seat with his signature smile.

"Morning, Sol! So how was your holiday?" He plopped down on the seat beside you. Or more specifically, Jihoon's seat.

You crossed your arms over your desk and reluctantly returned the smile. "It was okay. Pretty uneventful but still, okay I guess."

Euiwoong nodded in satisfaction. "I'm so tired, no one would mind if I took a nap for a few minutes here right?"

"Sure--"

"Uh-hum."

Jihoon cleared his throat with a look of disapproval on his face as he shared down at Euiwoong. Said boy cowered before standing up sheepishly. "Oops, my bad," turning to you, he grinned. "I'll talk to you later then."

You nodded at him and he went off to his group of friends at the back of the class. You turned back to awkwardly stare at your fingers as Jihoon sank down into his seat.

You hadn't spoken since the day you saw him working in front of that gaming store. You still remembered the way he looked at you that day. Cold and emotionless. As if whatever history you had together was nothing but a stupid dream. And then a few days later you came home at night to see a carton of mango milk on your doorstep.

Sometimes boys can be really confusing. And they say girls are complicated.

Jihoon glanced at you and released a long sigh. You tried not to look his way. After all, you were on a break. Hearing him clear his throat, you expected him to say something to break the ice. Maybe a good morning or a simple hi, despite whatever happened between you two. Maybe it was wishful thinking. He didn't say anything, just turned around when someone called his name from the back.

It made your heart feel heavy seeing him smile at some weird joke your classmate told him.

Am I really nothing to you anymore?

The bell rang, signifying the start of classes. Soon after that, the teacher entered. Biology wasn't your best subject. But it was Jihoon's. You knew this because one time during a quiz he was the only one in class who got a perfect score.