Chapter 10

POV Jesse

Did I fall asleep? I can't tell what time it is. The blankets block out the light. I throw the blankets off of me, one layer at a time.

Lukas? I feel him fall against me and then immediately pull himself off.

"Sorry," he says, rubbing his eyes.

Why would he still be here? I thought he would at least be at the other side of the tent, far away from me as possible.

"W...What are you doing here?" I ask.

"What do you mean? I wouldn't leave my best friend who was crying."

Does he not remember what I said? I told him something that I kept built up inside me. I may never get to see him again. I had to tell him how I felt and feel. He doesn't even remember. "I told you that I like you. I am going to probably never see you again, and I had to tell you my feelings." I want to tell him more. I love his passion for writing and how caring he is. I want him to see how he is through my eyes. I wish we could be together forever.

"I... I know what you said," Lukas avoids my eyes.

"Then why are you just sitting here?" I do not know how people react to these situations. We are guys, it seems like he would be awkward, and make up any excuse leave right now.

"I was just thinking," Lukas looks up at me.

A slight grin appears on his face. My palms drip with sweat. I do not know what the grin is for. He could like me in the same way. Or he might still just want to be my friend. Or he thinks I am a joke.

He grabs my arm with his trembling hand. He tugs my arm, pulling me right next to him.

Lukas whispers in my ear,"I... like you too."

My eyes practically bulge out of my head and my heart seperates from my body.

Third Person POV

Lukas and Jesse enjoy the rest of their camping trip. They avoided talking more about their feelings. Even with everything in the open, it still was awkward.

A few weeks later...
POV Lukas

Me and Jesse sit in his room and play videogames. I am really anxious over the whole "feelings" thing a few weeks ago. My feelings towards Jesse keep growing. Sometimes it is a problem, but other times, I think of what the future holds for us.

"Soooo, Jesse," I say, turning towards him. My desire for Jesse never leaves. I want to feel his lips on mine, I want more. But, it just has been sort of awkward between us. It's not like before when we didn't know we liked eachother.

"Maybe we should try and make everything less awkward," Jesse suggests.

"Yeah... ," I agree. I want to tell him everything. I need to get it off my chest.

"I'll go first. I know it would be hard for you, Lukas," Jesse says.

"Where should we start?"

"I'll start with... uh. the first time I had acknowledged that I had feelings for you. It was sometime last year, in the summer," he pauses for a breath before continuing,"we where running around with the hose outback. I was thinking about how much fun we were having and, how I am lucky to have such a great friend. I thought you were... cute and I was staring alot. I couldn't help myself. There was an unfamiliar urge, I didn't know what it was for."

"Wow. So... I guess you've been waiting for this. A few years ago I had been watching a ton of romantic movies with my parents... I always dreamed about me in one of those. Of course, there was never the girl in it. First, it started with a guy I guess I found attractive in the movie. But then, I started dreaming about you. I thought it was... normal." I never thought I would be speaking of that. It seems so little, but I left out the more major details.

"Thanks for being my best friend," Jesse says.

"Hey. Thanks too." I want to scream that I love you, Jesse. "Soooo... what. I..." I nervously laugh.

Jesse looks into my eyes, and a daring grin widens on his face. He puts his arms around me and pulls me into a kiss. Before he can pull away, I pull him closer.

I never could have imagined that it could feel so... magical, awesome, I don't know a good word to describe it.

My anxiety kicks in. "What about people at school? What about our friends?" I ask extremely worried.

"Lukas, don't worry. We can tell them when we are ready. Now our bond can be even stronger than before. We are a team."

"Really?" I didn't expect that. I want to stay a team forever. I know how some people marry their childhood friends, even childhood enemies. So maybe, we can stay together forever.

"Of course! We are still best friends. And... I really like you. This one time at school, I avoided you all day because of this dream I had. You shoved me against, and we were pressed together. We were- never mind."

"Jesse. I know how it goes. I've had 'those' dreams before." I feel awkward admitting it outloud.

Jesse gives me a high five and we continue playing. Let's try to enjoy the fun while it lasts.

I guess nothing can really get too weird.