Chapter 34

Lukas is 22. This takes place a month after the last one.

February/March
POV Lukas

"AIDEN! There are 10 customers waiting, hurry up," I yell over to Aiden. I change my tone to sound like a nice cashier," Thank you for waiting. Your orders will be done any minute now."

Working at a coffee shop wasn't my first choice, but it can be fun since I have the same shift as Aiden. We work together for 6 hours a day, 5 days a week. It's a very small shop. Me and Aiden are usually the only employees in the shop during our shift, besides the manager and the janitor.

Our boss is pretty laid back as long as we are not rude and get good drinks and foods to the customers. Our name tags actually say dumb names so then people can't call in looking for us. My fake name is Mike, and Aiden's is Jerry.

The lunch rush dies down, so me and Aiden use the time to chat about this and that. Of course, we are ready for to serve the occasional customer here or there.

"Roman!" Aiden shouts.

I quickly turn me head towards the door. Aiden gets me every time. "Not funny."

"Why are you still with him?" Aiden asks, like he always does.

"Aiden. You know I love him," I say, waiting for a customer to come in and diatract us.

"Lukas, he is a controlling asshole. When was the last time we hung out besides at work?"

"I don't know," I mumble.

"Why do you push off the questions I ask about your day or weekend?"

"I don't know," I mumble more angerly.

"Lukas! Why does you mom have to call me to make sure you are still breathing?"

"AIDEN! JUST-... drop it." I feel defeated. He's right to question everything. I should be a friend and hangout. I should talk about my life outside of work. Hell, I need to talk to my family.

"Lukas," Aiden says in a more gentle tone," please, just talk to m-"

"-You're right... About everything. Roman is the reason I never finished college. I had to fight him to let me get this job," I say as I realize how fucked my life is.

"I'm here for you, and your family is too," Aiden puts a hand on my shoulder.

I begin to cry. "It's all my fault. I should have left when I still had the chance. I can't even do the things I love."

"I can drive you to your parents house after our shift," Aiden offers.

"Roman will find me and work his charm and take me back to his apartment. Who knows what he'll do to me then," I sigh. It's hopeless. He will probably get more violent than ever if I do go through with any plan.

"Okay. Stay at my place then. Me and Cassie wouldn't mind lending you the couch for as long as you need."

I feel my phone buzzing in my pocket. "It's Roman," I whisper. "Hello?"

"Hello my love. I just wanted to let you know that work calls and I am going to head out till around 10 tonight. Please have dinner ready. Love you."

"Got it. Love you too. Bye." I hang up. I think I know what to do. "I have a plan. During our break in 10 minutes, we head to the apartment and grab some of my stuff. We finish our shift and go back to your place. Call the cops if Roman gets ahold of me."

"Good plan. "

We hurry over to the apartment so I can grab some clothes, laptop, journals, and my college stuff. I put my heavily tracked phone and house keys under the bed. And I make a note to get my old phone from my parents house. The good news is that Roman can only look at the track of my phone with his laptop, which is siting on the couch.

I throw my stuff into the car and we speed back to work.

When we get back, there is a guy using a laptop at one of the booths, but there is no one waiting for our services.

"Doesn't he look familiar?" Aiden says, talking about the guy at the booth.

I take the chance to look at this guy. Brunette. Cute face. Green eyes. Very beautiful green eyes. His clothes are pretty plain, jeans with a green jacket. He does look familiar. Is that...?

"Hey Lukas, you are kind of staring," Aiden whispers and jabs my side with his elbow.

The guy is looking back at me. I blush and my palms sweat. I turn back around. "I think that's Jesse." Thank God for the awful pop music playing to cover up our conversation. It would be very awkward to be some guy in a coffee shop and you hear the workers talking about you.

"I don't really remember what he looks like, we were only friends for a few months and then he, what happened?"

"His mom got custody of him and took him to Chicago I think."

"That sucks. Why would he come back?"

"I don't know. His dad just disappeared. Their house got auctioned off too."

Aiden gestures for me to turn back around. "Oh. Welcome, what can I get for you today?"

The guy glances at my name tag before beginning, "Uhh. I'll have a coffee with sugar, and vanilla creamer. And I'll have a medium sized order of French toast."

"Your total is $8.25. And what name should I put your order under?"

"Jesse," he says and returns to his table.