Untitled

**A/N: This is a story idea that had been going around in my head the past few days. I don't really like how I wrote it since I feel like it has too much back and forth between past and present, and there's not enough action to it (it seems too slow of pace). So I'd really appreciate it if you guys would let me know if it needs some work and maybe give some tips on how it could be better written -I.e. actually showing the events that happen instead of skipping over it and letting Warren explain, written in Colby's POV, etc...

P.S. If anyone can think of a good title, that would be great, because, I'm drawing a blank here 😐

[WARNING] This story contains some course language and mature content, readers discretion is advised. Rated PG-13.

Copyright © 2014 by Gracilyn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So, here we have some of the kids around your age. I've decided to place you here because I think it would be nice for these kids to have someone around your age, don't you agree?" the woman in charging of my volunteering, Miss Anderson, explained as she lead me through a set of double doors.

The sound of a cartoon could be faintly heard coming from a room further down the hallway, where one of the many doors had been left slightly ajar. Giggling erupted from another room closer to us, and I wondered briefly about the kids in this place. What was wrong with them that they were in the hospital?

We continued down the white hallway and passed the nurses station beside the doors leading in, each door with a narrow black plaque proclaiming the number of the room. Nurses in scrubs scurried around, attending to patients and clicking away at computers. A little girl ran out of one room and into the one beside it, her skin pale and a knitted beanie on her head. Being a small hospital, it was normal to see the kids with different illnesses and problems in the same place.

"Okay," Miss Anderson said suddenly, stopping beside the nurses station. The place was shaped in a u, so that you could enter one door and exit another without having to back track. "Visiting hours end at nine, this ward houses patients between five and eighteen years of age, before entering any room please knock first, if anything goes wrong press the nurses button, and most importantly, have fun."

With that said, Miss Anderson smiled and patted me on the shoulder before entering the nurses station. Sighing, I fixed my backpack on my shoulder and let my feet carry me to the door closest to me. It was open, letting me see the two boys who shared the room as they laid in their beds and stared in boredom at the TV hanging on the wall. The boy closest to me looked about seven, while the other seemed a bit older, possibly eight or nine.

I knocked on the doorframe and watched as both heads swerved in my direction. Smiling sheepishly, I slowly entered.

Please don't let me screw this up, I thought as I dropped my backpack in a chair and opened my mouth to talk. Here goes nothing.

--------------------------

It was five o'clock by the time I found myself in front of a closed door. I had been at the hospital since ten that morning, and had already met half of the kids. Mainly because so many were joining the two boys and I that the nurses asked us to move to the play room, which was a fair sized open room with big windows overlooking the small park across the street. The room had a flat screen TV hanging over top of an electric fireplace in one corner with a couple couches and some chairs surrounding it, a toy area in another corner, and rec area with some game tables in another. Everything was donated by the people during a fundraiser.