Mountain View

**A/N: I wrote this c. Oct. 19th 2012 for DailyThemes on Figment, so this might be a bit different from how I write now and I know it will contain some (or a lot) of errors. Read at your own risk. Also, it's pretty short. Btw, all places, characters, etc... are purely of my imagination and any resemblance to a real place or person is a complete coincidence. So in other words, I made up the setting and characters and just decided to say it's set in Ottawa, Canada. Although, since I do live in Canada, I know how cold and snowy it can get here, so that part's true. Hope you enjoy and don't forget to comment.
Little fact: I believe this was one of my first stories that dealt with homosexuality.***

The tracks twist, the horn blows a muffled whistle, and trees fly past my window as I sit in my private suite on the Mountain View train. The small room is maybe five feet wide in width and length, with wood paneling and an old wooden table that is fastened to the wall. I sit on a pine bench with a red velvet seat cushion that covers the back as well. I sit staring out the small window, my reflection staring back at me along with the moon which glows up in the black night sky that twinkles with stars of all different shades and sizes, some forming constellations and others seeming to be loners, staying apart from the rest of the universe. The peak of the snowy winter mountains blocks a part of the full moon, making it glow in the luminescent light. Again the whistle blows and I tilt to the side as we round yet another turn through the mountains. Snow starts to fall, making the scene outside my window look even more enchanting. I wish I could be out there, enjoying the beautiful scenery and letting the snow delicately fall and cover my skin and dance on my tongue. I'm on my way to visit my family in my hometown for Christmas, although it's been a while since I have last seen them. I moved quickly after my eighteenth birthday, wishing to be far away from the town that made such a mess of my life. Since then, I have succeeded in finishing three years of school for literature and art, and have gotten a job as an editor for a less than fabulous company. I'm still trying to finish school and become a writer, but I still have a ways to go.
"Passengers of Mountain View, we are pleased to announce that we are finally at the Mountain View station of Ottawa, Canada. We hope you have had a splendid ride," a female voice says over the intercom as the train slows to a stop in front of a one story building with a couple dozen people standing in front of it.
I grab my bags from the over head compartment and make my way off the train, where I scan for any sign of familiarity. People smile and laugh and greet each other with excitement all around me, but there's one thing I don't see; no one showed up to greet me.
I sigh, and heft my duffle back onto my shoulder and wheel my suitcase to the building. Inside is fairly small; two glass windows with someone sitting behind each handing out tickets and taking money. A few rows of seats for awaiting passengers aligned on the opposite side of the room than the ticket takers. Two washrooms on the left beside the sets, one woman's and the other men's. I walk to the front doors and step out, but before I can even utter a single word to call for one of the few taxi's driving by on the main road, a young woman with long blonde hair and blue eyes steps in front of me hollering.
"Brother! Misaki!" she shouts at me with excitement, her smiling face saying more than her words can.
"Hey, Val," I greet with a timid smile, already uncomfortable with the whole exchange.
"Little bro, you haven't changed a bit," she says, flinging her arms around me and squeezing me tightly in a hug.
"Hello Misaki," my mother says, and I glance up to find her and my father standing over Val's shoulder. "It's nice of you to finally visit us."
"I've been busy-" I begin to explain.
"For three years?!" Val exclaims, pulling away to shoot me a disapproving look.
"I know it's been a while-"
"A while has past -long ago. Now it's been forever."
"I had my reasons," I hiss, pushing her away from me.
This is why I didn't come back, because there's so much bad blood between me and my family ever since I left for college. They didn't approve of my running away, they didn't even know why I did, they just knew what I told them in my note that I wanted to see more of the world and go to college somewhere else besides our small town.
We head back to our family home, and I trek through the piling snow up to the front steps of the old house.
"The snow's really piling up this year; we might end up getting snowed in," Dad comments, looking around the yard as the snowflakes descend on the thickening blanket of snow.
"Good thing we stocked up on food and batteries," Mom agrees, stopping on the porch and turning around to look over our front yard.
Across the road the neighbours' car must not have been moved in a while, because it's almost completely hidden in snow and snow drifts. Icicles hang off the edges of roofs and off our porch railing. Ice is like another layer of wood on our deck. And as I stand here waiting impatiently for my parents to figure out what we're doing I feel the chill of a winter breeze blow over my already cold skin. Finally, we go inside.
"Oh, and Misaki?" Val says, donning a sly smirk.
"Yea?" I ask, exhausted and wanting nothing more than to go to bed.
"Someone wanted to see you when you got home," she says, and heads for the kitchen.
What? What does she mean? Who?
I start up the stairs on my left and head for my room.
"Hello, Misaki," a males voice greets from behind me, and I stop in the middle of the stairs.
I can hear the rest of my family in the kitchen talking, which worries me since this voice is so close and so familiar.
"It's been a while since I've seen you. You've changed, matured in your looks," he continues, and as much as I don't want to turn around I do.
A tall guy, around the age of twenty, stands before me, his brown hair hiding most of his green eyes from view. He stands with one hand on the railing and the other in his jeans pocket, the black sleeves of his shirt rolled casually up to his elbows. A few black bracelets adorn his wrists and I note the reason I didn't hear him is because he's not wearing anything on his feet besides his white socks.
"Hi, Rio," I greet, my voice weak with surprise.
I didn't want to see him, the guy who changed me, who made me flee my hometown.
"We have some things we need to discuss," he states, and I envy the way his voice doesn't shake and waver, how he keeps his calm and cool composer.
"Oh, we do?" I try to dodge the conversation, but he knows my tricks all too well.
"You left unexpectedly and never called or said why. I'd like to know."
"Oh, that, uh, I was planning on telling you that I was going to college far away but I never got around to it." A lie; I never planned on telling him. Ever.
"Is that it?"
"Yes."
"Liar."
He steps up, and I step up. He takes another step and lessens the space between us, and in my haste to put more distance between us I try to take two steps at a time and trip. My suitcase tumbles down the stairs along with me, but Rio catches me as I fall towards him. My stomach flip-flops at the sight of his face so close to mine. It's so familiar and yet so wrong. I can't do this again.
"Why did you really leave town?" he questions, tightening his grip on my arms so that I can't escape.
I turn my head away, not wanting to look into the eyes I had looked into so many times before.
"Why, Misa?"
"Because you tried to rape me!" I scream, whipping my face around to glare at him.
His eyes widen at my sudden outburst. I never used to scream or shout, I never used to say no to anything that anyone asked of me, but here I am, changed from the small little naïve boy I was too this twenty-one year old who tries to run from his problems and keep them bottled up. All because I fell for an older guy who just wanted me for sex.
What a wonderful Christmas this will be.