Yes Maxie

**A/N: I wrote this a while back -it's supposed to be the prologue of a new story idea- and I wasn't going to post it until I finished the whole story, but I figure you guys deserve something for my absence. So here's Yes Maxie, a cute PG story. Tell me what you thought and what you think will happen in the future. What happens to their relationship once they enter high school? Does Devon keep his promises? Remember, your comments may influence the story as it progresses, so I'd really like to know what you think. 

Good 👍? Bad 👎? Aborable 😻? Gasp worthy 🙊?

P.S. Don't expect this to be continued anytime soon, I still have TTA, Outed, Loving You Hurts, Mated to the Future Alpha, and Social Pyramid to finish. And I'm also trying to rewrite some of my older works because I feel I need a straight story up (I'm not strictly boyxboy, so I don't want to scare away my other readers by posting so much of it).

P.S. again. Did any one else automatically hear the song Ready Or Not by Bridget Mendler playing in their head when they read the first line? For those who don't know, one part of the song goes like this:

"Ready or not, here I come,

I like your face, do you like my song?

In the crowd, the music's loud,

......"

I don't remember the rest, but yeah.

__________________________

Prologue

“Ready or not, here I come!” Devon called; his 12-year-old voice somewhat crackly and high in tone as he shouted out the famous old words to a game of Hide and Seek Tag.

Young Maxie held his breath as he watched his best friends dirty, old play sneakers pass by the big rubber tire he was currently wedged into. He tried to suppress the giggle that wanted to escape as his friend searched relentlessly for the smaller boy. Neither Devon nor Max would ever give up in a game, it was their thing. Both boys were stubborn, which made for simple games such as Hide and Seek last for hours as one of the boys searched high and low for the other. But even though neither would admit defeat, they still couldn’t get enough of their games. 

Devon looked behind the tall blue slide, in the play house on top of the jungle gym, and even in the trash can, but with no such luck. It was as if Maxie had vanished!

“Hmm?” Devon hummed, his eyes scanning over the park that surrounded them as well as the trees that littered the property. “If I were Maxie, where would I hide?”

Just then, a giggle escaped the lips of the smaller boy, and he quickly clamped both tiny hands over his mouth as Devon’s head perked up. Devon listened closely before a smirk grew on his face and he slowly crept towards the big black tire that sat upright in the dirt. Maxie squeezed his eyes shut, his hands still covering his mouth, as Devon suddenly looked inside the tire and spotted the boy wedged up in the curve of the inner part.

“Maxie…” Devon said, and slowly inched his hand forward until he tapped his palm on Maxie’s knee. “Your it!”

“You can’t see me!” Maxie shouted, as giggling filled the air between them.

“Maxie, I can see you and you’re it.”

“No, you can’t!”

“Yes, I can!”

“If I can’t see you, than you can’t see me, so huh!”

“Maaaaxieeee,” Devon exclaimed, drawing out the name and sighing, giving in to the cute little 10-year-old boy.

Maxie and Devon may have had a few things in common such as their competitive natures and black hair, but otherwise they were complete opposites. Where Maxie had bright crystal blue eyes that could melt any cold heart to mush with their innocence, Devon had grey eyes that hid more secrets than enough as he took in everything around him with the same bored demeanour. While Maxie loved colourful things such as bright jeans, rainbow bracelets and hair pieces, and funny graphic t-shirts, Devon enjoyed wearing dark clothing and the friendship bracelet Maxie made him when he was 9 and Maxie was 7. Max was a complete chatterbox towards Devon, but often was too shy to speak to anyone else, much less his own family. Devon on the other hand, had a good way of knowing exactly what to say to Max, and he more than often mouthed off at anyone who made fun of his little Maxie. And even though Max lived with two workaholic parents who were never home, Devon lived with his mother and baby sister at his grandmothers while usually babysitting Max in the afternoons and weekends.

“Devi?” little Max asked, breaking Devon from his momentary daze.

“Yes Maxie?” Devon replied, squatting further down to see the younger boy better in the shadows.

“Kiss me,” Maxie giggled, causing Devon to smile.

He leaned forward and placed a gentle kiss on Maxie’s soft and sticky lips. He chuckled slightly to himself as he licked along Max’s bottom lip, tasting the sticky mess of chocolate from the ice cream he had bought Max and himself earlier. He bit Maxie’s lip before pulling away. They opened their eyes at the same time and looked at each other.

“Devi?”

“Yes Maxie?”

“Do you love me?”

“With all my heart.”

“Will you marry me one day?”

“Yes, Maxie.”

“And buy a house with me?”

“Yes Maxie.”

“And have a dozen kids with me?”

“Yes Maxie,” Devon chuckled, “and adopt a dozen kids with you.” 

“And can we get a doggy?”

“Yes Maxie.”

“And they’ll have puppies?”

“Yes Maxie.”

“And we’ll grow old together?”

“Yes Maxie.”

“And we’ll be together forever?”

“Yes Maxie, together forever.”

“Promise?”

“Yes Maxie, I promise.”

Maxie smiled and crawled out of the tire. He placed a hand on Devon’s chest and shoved him backwards. Devon landed with an ‘oaf’ and looked at Max with confusion. Max just climbed on top of Devon and straddled the older boys’ stomach, holding out his pinky in Devon’s face.

“Do you super secret, lip lock pinky promise?”

Devon sighed but smiled warmly as he hooked his pinky finger with Max’s. With another soft chuckle slipping from his lips and nine little words, Devon Carson Saunders sealed his fate.

“Yes Maxie, I super secret, lip lock pinky promise.”