I'm Not Gay

***Inspired by Avril Lavigne's song "Sk8er Boi". Rated PG (it has one bad word at the beginning during the italic part). Hope you enjoy 😆

Jamie's beanie on the side ➡️

Copyright © 2014 by Gracilyn

🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶

"Hey Spencer!" a voice called from behind Spencer and his friends. 

Every head turned to watch the lanky boy in the baggy clothes riding up to Spencer on a skateboard. The guys chocolate copper hair curled slightly at the ends under his dark grey Anthem beanie, one of his hazel eyes lightly hidden behind his bangs. He wore a large white t-shirt too big for his thin frame, with a pair of dark blue loose jeans that bore the marks of multiple knee slides from falls, and a pair of scuffed up black and white Vans.

In other words, he was a nobody in the eyes of the boys and girls who were decked out in brands such as Gucci and Nike, also known as Spencer and his friends. Their hair was perfect, barely moved by the light breeze passing through the high school parking lot, the clothes they wore were clean and up-to-date with the current fashion trends, and their skin was flawless with a beautiful sun-kissed tan. There was no reason for the skater boy, who's clothes were bought from a thrift shop and who's skin was pale and speckled with blemishes, to ever talk to Spencer Malone. 

"Um..." The smile on the boys face dropped as he skated to a stop in front of Spencer, his gaze landing on the group of people surrounding the popular boy. Suddenly, his whole demeanour changed before Spencer's eyes. The boy who had called out to Spencer with a wide smile and confidence filled grace transformed into a shy and nervous kid once he stepped off the skateboard and held one end in his hand while tapping the other to the toe of his shoe. It was like all confidence left his body as soon as he was off of the decorated board on wheels.

"Yeah?" Spencer pushed impatiently, both curious to know what the kid wanted and also not wishing to be late for class.

With a lowered gaze, the boy spoke quietly while rubbing his forearm with his free hand, "I was wondering...um...do you...maybe, want to go on a date...with me?"

Stunned. Spencer was stunned silent with surprise at the question. He didn't really know what to say. A boy asked him out on a date? A romantic, kiss goodnight, hand holding date?

"Why don't you just get lost fag," one of Spencer's friends spat, a disgusted scowl on his face.

A hurt look flashed across the boys features, and within the space of a second it was gone, replaced with an unreadable expression. Without a word, he glanced at Spencer before dropping the skateboard and stepping on. Spencer watched, frozen, as the body just rolled away, the sound of plastic sliding against gravel crunching in his ears.

"Hey, kid!" Spencer suddenly called, surprising both himself and everyone around him.

The boy stopped, placing his foot firmly on the ground as he looked over his shoulder, waiting for Spencer to continue.

"I...I'm not gay," Spencer stated lamely, licking his suddenly dry lips.

The boy snorted and turned around, rolling towards the steps of the school again, but this time he called a final few words over his shoulder.

"And neither am I. My name's Jamie, by the way, not 'kid.'"   

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~