Never Fighting Fair (Never Walk Alone #2)

Word count: 2,984

Inspired by a prompt I found on Pinterest. The external link will take you to the prompt, but if that doesn't work then type this into the URL bar of your browser: https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/441493569712490248/

Written November 8-10, 2017. Posted November 11, 2017.

------------------------------

 "Mmm." My back curved as I moved away from the sensation of nibbling on the skin where my neck and shoulder met. It followed me, though, and continued gently biting at the flesh of my throat.

A hand grasped my chin and lifted it, exposing the tender skin of the hollow of my throat, holding my head in place.

Pushing past the cobwebs of sleep, I opened my eyes and blinked several times, focusing on the stream of bright morning sunlight coming through the cracks in the blinds. As my mind began to fully wake up, I realized with a jolt of adrenaline that someone was laying behind me. Their mouth went to work gnawing on my neck, but never broke the skin. The scrape of two very pointy teeth gave me a clue as to who it could be.

Only one person would be in my room, nibbling on my neck and holding me in their arms.

"Denver," I began calmly, feeling my heart slow it's rapid pounding. "Why are you chewing on me so early in the morning?"

The mouth suddenly paused in it's bites, the teeth frozen against my skin. Slowly, he withdrew just enough to speak, lips tickling my flesh.

"You smell good," he answered, taking a deep breath in through his nose as if to prove his point.

Oddly, I didn't feel scared, although I probably should have been. "That's totally what I want to hear from my vampire boyfriend, especially after I just woke up to him chewing on me."

I could feel his smile and hear it in his voice as he promised, "I wasn't going to eat you."

"How comforting . . ."

He laughed, burying his face in my shoulder. Glancing back at him, I couldn't help but think: how cute he can be in moments like this. He's not usually so relaxed, but then, right now we're alone. He only ever shows this side when . . . it's just the two of us.

"Ow!" I yelped, flinching as he gave me a bite on the crook of my neck. The tip of his tongue swiped at the mark, licking up whatever drops of blood he had managed to spill.

"Just a taste, Love." He kissed the mark, then rolled away from me, climbing off of the bed.

Turning onto my back, I watched as he pulled on his shirt, jeans already on and belt buckled. His eyes connected with mine, their golden brown color almost glowing as they caught the light from the window. Fangs peeking out as his lips curved into a smile, I was struck with how beautiful he was.

Born a vampire, Denver had the otherworldly beauty of his kind. Though he was thirty-one, his body hadn't aged past nineteen-years-old. Vampires who were born instead of turned, aged at a slower rate than humans, eventually stopping completely. Each vampire was different, however, so there was no telling how fast or slow one would age.

"Are you going to get up, slowpoke?" he teased, breaking me from the spell he had put me under.

I snorted and rolled over, pulling the blankets with me.

"As if." I snuggled deeper into the warmth of my bed. "It's Saturday, and for once the house is quiet. I'm gonna take advantage of this."

A floorboard squeaked as he took a step toward the bed. "I might take advantage of you, if you don't move."