Loving You Hurts part 2

The burning smell of cleaners filled Dimitri's nose as he sat in the waiting room, elbows on his knees and head in his hands. His mother sat beside him, his father too busy at work. Mrs. Langford, the loving mother and doting wife that she was, rubbed her only sons back comfortingly, while whispering encouraging words in his ears. But Dimitri didn't want to hear the usual "it's going to be okay," and "It wasn't your fault," because it was.

Dimitri didn't mean for it to go so far. He didn't mean to drive Clint to this.

But he did.

Now Clint laid in a hospital bed with God knows how many tubes and wires hooked up to him. And Dimitri could only blame himself.

It started out as just a little threatening here and a few punches there, until one day it changed. Dimitri began acting more aggressive, singling out poor little Clint each day as a way to make himself feel better. The first time he ever said anything mean to Clint in the sixth grade, when Clint accidentally bumped into him. At that time, Dimitri's dad had begun taking on more hours, and often didn't pay attention to Dimitri. His younger sister, Jocelyn (or Josie for short), was daddy's little girl, so whenever Mr. Langford was home he paid most of his attention to either his wife or his little princess. This caused Dimitri to fight for attention as well, and he now realized he had lashed out in all the wrong ways.

After Dimitri's first encounter with Clint, he began seeking the smaller boy out whenever Dimitri's anger got the best of him. By the time high school rolled around, Clint had became a joke to Dimitri and his friends, who often through insults and lies around about Clint.

Dimitri sighed, running his hands through his hair for what felt like the hundredth time that day.

"It's going to be okay," his mother assured, her voice gentle as she worried for her son.

His parents didn't know much about the bullying, except for the stuff Dimitri was taking to the office for. But no matter what Dimitri did, his father was always 'too busy' to get involved, and usually let Dimitri off with just a grounding. Dimitri's mother, however, would be the one to make sure the rules of the grounding were followed.

"How do you know that?" Dimitri asked in a strained voice.

Mrs. Langford smiled sadly at her son, "Because I know you, and you'll stop at nothing to make this right. No matter what you did in the past, it's time to step up and fix your wrongs. You're almost sixteen, you can't keep acting like a spoiled brat all your life."

The words weren't said in a harsh or sneering tone, but rather with the tender loving care of a mother softly shoving her young child out into the world of adulthood. And with those inspirational words, Dimitri held onto a new found sense of confidence and endurance at fixing the wrongs he had committed. If his father didn't want to waste his time on his only son, than why should Dimitri waste his on trying to gain the mans attention?

"Clinton Jones?" a nurse called, eyes scanning the room briefly before returning to her clipboard. "Clinton Jones?"

Mrs. Langford and her son stood up, both quickly glancing around for someone else to stand. But none did. Dimitri and his mother walked over to the nurse, who's tired eyes raised to stare dubiously at the pair.

"What are your relations to Mr. Jones?" the nurse asked, glancing between the two.

"We-" Mrs. Langford began, but Dimitri quickly cut her off.

"I'm his brother, Dimitri, and this is our mom," Dimitri explained.

A moment of silence passed before the young nurse nodded and motioned for them to follow her. A few minutes later, and Dimitri was stepping into a curtained room alone, his mother gone to get them something to eat from the Hospital Cafeteria.