Freedom

Warning: Mentions of sexual and physical abuse. Some swearing is involved.

Tags: Werewolf, Sex Trafficking.

Word Count: 23,473.

Written February 5-10, 2017. Posted February 11, 2017.
--------------

    The sound of vicious growling filled the still air. Darkness blanketed the land, causing the shadows of homes and trees to be the perfect hiding spot for enemies to hide.

    The army of wolves had attacked right as everyone was turning in for the night, and guards were switching shifts. The four wolves that were suppose to be running the perimeter of our pack's territory, would have been heading for the pack house from the east and west, leaving the north and south open to attack. Normally the ones who were taking over the patrol would have been heading for the north and south sides, but they had been lagging behind due to the ceremony for the alpha's son, celebrating his transition to pack alpha, earlier in the day.

    I leaned against the cool stone that made-up the basement walls, staring up at the two-foot wide, one-foot tall, barred window. Stars twinkled down at me through that small space, reminding me of the joyous feeling of being out under the full moon and clear sky, in wolf form.

    Sharp, pained yelps rang out from the injured every few seconds, but I couldn't tell if we were winning or losing. In all honesty, though I feared what laid in store for me if the invaders won, I didn't really mind the thought of my pack members dying. They had long ago turned their backs on me, so why should I care about them?

    As the sounds of fighting slowly dwindled and eventually faded away, I strained to hear the outcome. Did we win?

    The creak of the floorboards above me drew my attention. Hesitant footsteps slowly made their way through the first floor, my eyes following the sound through the dim light. A lone lightbulb hung in the hallway between the four cells, flickering every so often as it swung precariously from a chain, it's electrical cords running down the chain to meet it at the end. I was use to the ever-shifting shadows down here, given that I spent most of my time in one of these cells.

    I pulled the thin bit of cloth around me tighter, and fisted the hem into my hands. At one time, it was an extra-large shirt, but overtime the white color had become dingy with sweat and grime, and the fabric had thinned to the point where holes had begun to form in spots. It was all I had to wear though, so I didn't really complain. Not like I had anyone to complain to, anyway.

    The shackles on my wrists and ankles jangled as I shifted my weight around, my body antsy from the anticipation of whoever was upstairs. I bit my lip and held stilled, staring the door of my cell down. To the left of it were the stairs to the first floor, and I watched anxiously for any change in shadows.

    Whoever was upstairs took their time checking the first floor, the speed slow and careful. There were no other sounds coming from inside the house, making it near impossible to not zone in on every creak of the persons weight on the floorboards. Outside I could just barely make out the sounds of movement, muffled voices speaking to one another. The light scent of smoke wafted into the room through the window, along with a cool breeze. I shivered, my shackles jingling with the movement. The footsteps suddenly stopped above me, and I realized too late that whoever was up there heard my chains.

    The basement door opened with little sound, but the first step let out a loud enough piercing cry to make up for it. Holding my breath and fear gripping my heart, I dared not move. They'd find me either way, but that didn't mean I would make it easy on them. The smell down hear was strong; a mix of rogues, blood, sweat, and urine. I knew it would make it difficult to smell me out.