Cold Love

[WARNING] A little bit of swearing, nothing major.

Word Count: 5985.

Valentine's Day special! Cupid and Jack Frost have known each other for a long time. Jack doesn't understand love, he thinks anything mushy and romantic is gag-worthy. Cupid doesn't like the cold or snow, he thinks it's a hindrance on matchmaking. So what happens one snowy Valentine's Day when they spend it together?

Written February 13-14, 2017. Posted February 14, 2017.

-------------
    Cold air bit at the tender flesh on Cupid's hands, forcing him to rub them together in hope of regaining some warmth and feeling in them. It wasn't easy shooting arrows when you couldn't feel your hands.

    Being Valentine's Day, one would think there would be little to no snow on the ground, but this year was particularly chilly, with numerous inches of fresh snow blanketing the earth. Piles of the white frozen water were shoved to the side of streets and sidewalks, some reaching nearly twelve feet in height. The snowbanks lining the sidewalk Cupid hurried along reached almost to his hips, but he wouldn't be swayed. Today was his day, and not even Jack Frost was going to ruin it.

    Speaking of the personification of winter, Jack Frost currently stood in front of Cupid, leaning casually against the metal pole that held up a crossing light. An arrogant grin stretched across his lips, making Cupid scowl at the white haired boy.

    "Oh c'mon Cupid, turn that frown upside-down. It's snowing!" Jack exclaimed, straightening up as Cupid approached.

    "It's Valentine's Day Jack, not Christmas!" Cupid retorted, shivering. He breathed on his hands as a last resort of warming them. It helped for all of a second before the biting air reclaimed his poor skin.

    "So? Everybody loves snow." Jack followed Cupid across the street, his feet gliding on ice as easy as most people could breathe. Whereas Cupid stepped on a particularly slippery spot and flew backwards, his back hitting the cold ground painfully. Jack raised a brow, and added, "Watch your step."

    Cupid groaned in pain, staring up at the other boy. Just the sight of Jack made Cupid cold. Jack wore a loose fitting blue pullover hoody and a pair of black jeans -- no gloves on his hands, no hat on his head, and no scarf wrapped around his neck. He didn't look affected by the low temperature, but then again, he was the cause of it. Unlike Cupid, who wore boots with good tread on them, he wore only sneakers, and not even the ones made for exercise. No, Jack wore flat-soled sneakers, the better to slip and break his neck with. Or so Cupid imagined.

    Climbing to his feet with a bit of trouble, Cupid finally managed to return onto his path, heading for his destination. Jack continued to follow, much to his dismay and slight joy. It was no secret that Jack was both attractive and an interesting person to be around. Wherever he went, there was never a dull moment, which both annoyed and interested Cupid. Jack could be an irritant, but he also had his moments where Cupid enjoyed his company.

    Though the current moment wasn't one of them.

    The ice on the sidewalk made it impossible for Cupid to escape Jack, especially since the winter was Jack's specialty and it's frigid elements were as much against Cupid as they were all for Jack.

    A heavy sigh came from the boy behind him, and without warning Cupid felt a hand enclose around his arm, sending his heart into a much faster rhythm. Jack easily caught up and fell into pace beside him, his hand helping keep Cupid steady on the slippery cement. Cupid's cheeks pooled with a light heat, and he kept his eyes on the ground in front of them. With the other boy's support, he found it much easier to not slip on the ice.