Epilogue {part one}

Epilogue

One Month Later

Part One

STEPPING OUT INTO the glorious warmth of the mid-summer day, Skye smiled from the sense of security and serenity that eclipsed her body and soul. She closed her eyes and breathed freely, deeply, drinking in the rich freshness of the mid-day air. Her once tainted and trampled on heart felt alive and free again, able to breathe in and accept the captivating beauty so magnificently crafted into the spirit of life.

She took three slow, small steps forward, appreciating the simple, easy pleasure of walking on her cast-free ankle again. A small but high-pitched noise whistled passed her ears, bringing her out of her hazy, dreamlike state of mind and steering her attention to where the sound had come from.

The moment she opened her eyes and caught Rachel's impatient gaze from the driver's side window of her mother's Honda Civic, she smiled widely.

"Are you coming, Skye?" Rachel called, slapping the exterior of the vehicle. "We can't wait for you forever. I've got a plane to catch, remember?"

"Don't worry, I'm coming." Skye's sweet-as-honey voice rang across the open space of air between the two friends, and in the next moment, Rachel whispered something to the passenger in the back seat and relaxed against the seat, smiling to herself.

Skye's heart fluttered in her chest when the passenger sprang out of the back seat, revealing himself to her in all his sun-kissed glory. His vibrant, emerald eyes shined even brighter in the blazing sun, and his shaggy, golden hair curled perfectly around his face, making Skye's breath catch in her throat from his beauty.

"Baby, I thought we had a deal," Jules called warmly, failing to take his gaze away from her once as he sprinted over to her. "I thought you had agreed to be on time today." He grinned, flashing his pearly whites. "I thought I'd made it clear that there will be a surprise waiting for you afterwards." His warm, heavy breath bathed her ears as he neared her and whisper-added, "A perfect and absolutely wonderful surprise."

Her knees grew week from the fiery air of seduction in his voice, and she pressed herself closer to him, hands tightly gripping his shirt. "You did," she purred, brushing her lips against his jaw-line. "And we do. I just wanted a moment to breathe." She let go of his shirt and pushed him backwards as she watched him carefully. Her lips curled into a smile at the playful glint in his eyes and, with her head spinning and chills spreading along her arms, she taunted him with her hands venturing down his chest as she kept him moving back towards the vehicle. "Get in the car."

He chuckled and reached a hand out to touch her face, but she was quicker than him and slapped it away before it even brushed her skin. He raised a brow, and his face lit up even more. "Playing hard to get?"

She grinned. "Get in the car and I'll let you know."

His back collided with the car door, and, with a wide grin spread across his face, he pulled it open and climbed in. "Perfect," he said when he was seated, grabbing Skye's hand and bringing her down onto his lap. He held her close with his hands on her hips, keeping her in place. And when she tried to wiggle away, he laughed deeply in her ear, and brought one of his hands to her face, gently forcing her to look at him. "You were saying?"

She pressed her small hands against his shoulders in a vain attempt at pushing herself further away from him. She had no interest in actually getting away from him though; she was only messing with him, playing hard to get because he seemed to be so keen on getting her. "You talk too much." She raised her eyebrows at him, daring him to make the next move.