22. PitterPat {part one}

Chapter Twenty-Two

PitterPat

Part One

"How're you feeling?"

Jules had his arm snaked around Skye's waist as they sat beside each other on her bed, careful not to touch any of her fading bruises. She appreciated his gentleness with her considering the fact that she wasn't completely healed yet. It didn't bother her when he touched her unless he gripped too hard or pushed too far, which she knew he wouldn't cross the line doing.

It had been three days since part of her worst nightmare became a reality. Two days since she'd first woken up free of Johnny's tormenting grip on her life. And one day since she'd first admitted everything Johnny had done with her to the police. Being in the room alone with the Chief had been even harder than she'd expected it to be. No matter how hard she'd tried, she hadn't managed to contain her tears as she told him about Johnny's abuse. She told him everything, holding nothing back. And by the end of their session together, she'd become numb, silent and in a daze. Relief replaced the grief she'd felt talking through everything with the Chief. But the reality of it all had left her in a haze.

Letting out a sigh, she twisted her way out of Jules's arm so that she was sitting on his lap instead. "I'm feeling great, Jules," she told him in confidence. "I'm better now that everything is out in the open and I don't have to hide anything anymore." She scooted forward a little, straddling him, and traced a finger over his jawline, pulling his face closer to hers. "Plus I have you by my side. Nothing could be better."

He grinned. "What about this?" he countered, brushing his lips over hers before kissing her passionately. He pulled her closer to him, gently, hands at the small of her back. At first, she kept her lips frozen against his in surprise, but in one quick moment she melted into the kiss, allowing him free access.

His touch sent her body into a start, thriving off of an entirely different energy. There was a tingly sensation that sprang throughout her, spreading warmth along every inch of her body. She broke free of the kiss for a moment, catching her breath, as her heart started to race from the sparks of their sudden passion. A smile spread across her face as she looked at Jules, eyelids heavy in satisfaction.

"I guess I was mistaken," she whispered, their faces only mere inches apart. "That was better."

He chuckled, eyes suddenly bright. "I thought so."

Before Skye could even reply, he spun her around so that she lay underneath him on the bed, his arms supporting himself on either side of her head. She was afraid for a moment, memories of Johnny vivid in her mind, but she quickly bit down her fear and smiled at him, a little on the nervous side. Seeing the look of most sincere love and desire Jules has for her, she bit her lip and pulled him closer to her by his shirt.

He chuckled, brushing a thumb over her cheek. She shivered. Noticing her shiver, he pushed himself away from her a little. "Is something—?" He didn't finish his sentence, only pulled upright and shook his head. "Oh, Skye, I'm sorry," he breathed, worry creasing his forehead. "I'm making you uncomfortable, aren't I?"

She frowned. Great job Skye, now he's worried about you, she chided herself. Why did I have to shiver? I mean, it was a good shiver, so why did it have to seem so wrong to him? She was flustered underneath him, unsure of what she could do or say to give him the right idea—show him that she was perfectly comfortable with him even around the momentary unease. Her heart faltered when she looked into his distraught face, torn and cautious.