19. The Dangers of Security {part one}

Chapter Nineteen
                                                      The Dangers of Security
                                                                 Part One

Morning came in a gray and gloomy fog. Skye, having been lost in a peaceful slumber, started stirring shortly passed ten, her once restless spirit tamed. Her eyes were heavy, unwilling to open as her mind drifted away from the enchantment of her dreams. Her mind was in-between reality and dreamland when she first came to, her body calm and tranquil.

   Peeling her eyes open, she opened her mind to the reality around her. The light in the room was dim; the only illumination came from the windows, pouring in gray light from the fogginess of past rain. She took one long, deep breath, pulling the covers closer to her chest. The security of the blanket calmed her, gave her something to hold onto. But when she remembered all of the events from the night before, she realized she was not alone.

   Warm breath was caressing the back of her head, instantly sending chills down her spine. It wasn't from the cool of her room, she knew, but from his presence so near. Jules had stayed with her all night. He stayed even when he could have left.

   Slowly and carefully, trying her best not to wake him, she turned herself around to face him. The moment her eyes met his sleeping face, a small smile crawled up the corners of her mouth. Her body tingled, shivered, moved by the sight of him. He looked peaceful, Skye thought, as peaceful as a sleeping child. He wasn't a child of course, but he looked much younger while asleep.

   His breath bathed her face then, brushing across her skin. She propped herself up on her elbow, watching him in content. She could watch him for hours, days, all the while perfectly content. All she wanted was him, by her side, always and forever. It wouldn't matter whether he was there to mingle with her or not. Being in his presence, so near, was all she could desire.

   He lay on his side, body facing hers, both hands lazily placed beside him. One hand was close to Skye, as if it had once held her but had fallen at some point in time. His breathing was quiet, a sweet sound in her ears. In that moment, all of the past slipped away, leaving her in the beautiful present with a man she couldn't have stronger feelings for. She wanted to stay away from the past, to be free and live for the future. And she knew that only one person could help her, revive her. Jules.

   Gently, she intertwined her fingers with his, sighing. Warmth spread throughout her body from the touch, heating her desires to cuddle into him and never let go. She pushed herself towards him, ignoring the fact that he could easily wake up, and kissed him softly, a brush of her lips. Closing her eyes, she brought her lips against his cheek and kissed him.

    She felt him stir beside her, the bed creaking under his weight. When she dropped her head against her pillow, opening her eyes, she noticed a small smile on his lips. She bit her lip, smiling.

   Ever so slowly, his eyes opened, the emerald pools full of life. "Good morning, trouble," he whispered. His voice was soothing, breathtaking—the perfect mixture of warm and inviting. His smile grew, his face lit up.

   Skye felt him squeeze her hand, holding on tighter. She couldn't help but smile, wide and lively, enthused by the beauty and care of the boy in front of her. Her heartbeat sped a little, tapping gently against her chest. Her eyes stayed locked with his, relenting to gaze away.

   "Good morning," she replied, a soft response. Her fingers played with his, brushing each other. She pushed herself a little closer, so there was barely any space between them, and let out another long breath.