22. PitterPat {part two}

Chapter Twenty-Two

PitterPat

Part Two

"Hey, trouble," Jules purred in Skye's ears, wrapping his arms around her waist. "Want to pick up where we left off earlier?" His voice was quiet enough so that no one could hear but them, but even so, she couldn't help but worry someone else would hear him. She'd only barely made it to the living room, and surely at least Joe, who was still in the dining room picking up the last remains of lunch, could hear Jules.

She spun around in his arms, pushing on his chest a little. "Jules!" she hissed. "What if Joe or Leah heard you?"

He laughed. "Does it even matter, Trouble?" He cupped her face in his hand, rubbing his thumb over her cheek. "Leah loves me. And I think I might have just won Joe over during lunch. Besides, it's not like Joe would 'tattle' on us, and I'm sure Leah can't even hear us right now."

Deciding it would be easier to go with him than against him, she wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him closer to her, whispering, "Why don't we pick up from where we left off than?"

He grinned wickedly, murmuring, "As you wish."

In one quick movement, he lifted her into his arms by the waist, her legs circling his body as he drew them closer together, and carried them both upstairs, stumbling a few times. They were both distracted, caught up in the moment, giggling and managing small kisses, as he walked down the hall and came to an abrupt stop at her door.

Skye gasped as her back came in contact with the hard, cold wood, giggling when she realized how silly she was acting. "Jules," she breathed, brushing her lips over his. "Did anyone see us?"

He tried to groan but it came out more as a chuckle than a groan. "Skye," he purred, "no one saw us. But we are being quite loud, you know?"

She closed her eyes and pressed her lips against his, a much more aggressive kiss. Her body shook with energy so oppressive, so heated, she didn't know whether to stop or keep going. "I'll shut up if you will."

He chuckled, the vibration sending jolts of pleasure coursing through her body. Clumsily, he spun the knob, releasing the door of its jam, and tossed it open, filling the space it once was. He brought them forward a little, gripping the door and closing it behind them as quietly as possible, and lifted Skye up as she started to slip.

She pulled away from his lips to catch her breath as he carried her over to the bed and laid her down against the mattress, catching his own breath in the process. She stared into his bright eyes, the green bold and inviting, asking her to request permission of something, anything. She grinned, butterflies springing, warmth flooding, and anxiety gripping her restless heartbeat.

In that moment, everything else disappeared. Leah and Joe, Victor's behavior, Johnny's betrayal, the uncertainty of what would happen next—all vanished. There was nothing that could bring her down, nothing that would change the life she finally felt inside. Jules was her medicine. He and he alone, stripped all of her troubles away.

Jules, climbing on the bed beside her, grinned sheepishly at her. He crawled over her, hands brushing against the sides of her arms, breath warming all the cool of the air-conditioner away. Once their faces were mere inches away from each other, he stopped, playing with her hair as he stared into her eyes.

"You're beautiful, Skye," he whispered, the sound caressing her ears. "I can't believe I went as long as I did without finding you. I really wish I'd met you sooner."