23. New Beginnings {part one}

Chapter Twenty-Three

                                                              New Beginnings

                                                                    Part One

Stumbling down the hall, Victor following close in stride, Skye raced as best she could for the front door. She had to get out, had to find Jules, that was all that ran through her mind as she hightailed it down the staircase. But due to her shaky legs, she stumbled over the last step and collided with the floor, hands having broken the fall. She winced, dizzied by the sudden move in another direction.

   Quickly, Victor was by her side, helping her up as she grimaced at the red of her hands. "You good?" He measured her state, looking her up and down.

   She gulped air, brushed her sore hands against her jeans, and nodded. "Yeah," she rasped. "I guess I'm just a little wobbly, that's all. Let's-keep going."

   "Here," he instructed. Snaking his arm around her waist, he pulled her closer to him, the touch of their shoulders causing a sudden flood of chills along her core. "Let me guide. We'll cover ground more quickly if you're steady."

   She froze for a moment, close enough to feel the energy of his body radiating over hers, causing a feeling so powerful, so different, she couldn't help but cling to it. And despite the part of her that didn't want to be close to him, she knew he was right-she was much too unsteady. So instead of arguing, she simply said, "Don't let me fall."

   He smiled. "I won't let you fall. I promise."

   Taking the lead, he led them out the front door, careful not to draw any attention to the both of them, and scurried down the front steps. "Where to?"

   Taking a small step forward, she murmured, "Anywhere." And then, muffling a sob, she curled over, grasping for something to hold her up. "I have to see him again, Vic. I need him."

   "Hey," he whispered, pulling her into him. "You will, Skye. Whatever happened between you two hasn't changed the way he feels about you. We're going to find him, okay?"

   "No." She shook her head against his chest. "What if we don't find him? What if things have changed?" She cringed, tears falling freely from her eyes. "Or what if-he doesn't want me anymore?"

   Wrapping his arms tightly, protectively around her, he hushed her, shaking his head. "No, Skye, don't think like that. We will find him. Nothing's changed. He still wants you, just as much as you want him. I'm sure of it." Carefully, he pulled her chin up, guiding her to look at him, and put up a small smile. "Everything is going to be okay. I promise."

    His bright eyes peered deeply into hers, gaze steady, unwavering, intense. For a moment all she could do was stare into his eyes, finding assurance in the cool pools of blue, drawn by a force too compelling to look away. But eventually, she gathered herself and managed to avert her gaze, biting her lip as her body reacted in ways she'd never imagined possible to their close contact.

    Her breath hitched in her throat as she realized just how close they both really were, one of his hands on her face while the other held her upright by the waist, sending flutters in her stomach. Her knees went weak as she saw the way he was looking at her, undeniable affection in his gaze. Along with feeling slightly unnerved by it, she felt comfort, warming her insides. She tried to shake the feelings, but couldn't. He was too close, his presence too strong, to shake the heat of his gaze.

    Using what little strength she had under the pressure of the swirling world around her, she stepped back away from him, holding her arms as shivers sliced her skin. "Maybe you're right." Her voice was weaker, shakier than she'd wanted it to be, and she tested it again. "We should probably go."