1. Birthday Gone Bad {part one}

A/N. This story has yet to be edited.

---

Copyright © 2012, S. J. Evans

All Rights Reserved.

---

Chapter One

Birthday Gone Bad

Part one

SKYE MONTGOMERY AND BRYAN ECHOLS WALKED HAND-IN-HAND in the hot, summer night, while the setting sun beamed down upon them. Bryan's eyes were alight with excitement, his lips spread into a wide smile, as he turned his head down to regard his girlfriend with unwavering attention. "Are you excited for the rest of the night, babe?" he asked her, squeezing her hand and stopping in place. "After all, a birthday only comes once a year."

Skye looked up into his bold blue eyes in return, those eyes that could change her mind on anything so easily, and those same eyes that had often held so much trickery inside. "Of course I'm excited," she told him with confidence. "But it's really nothing special, Bryan. Just another night."

"Just another night?" he scoffed in disbelief. "Since when is your birthday just another night?"

"It's just not a big deal to me. Never really has been. And there's really no reason you should be going through all this trouble just to take me out," she said, around a timid smile. "First the restaurant and now Buxton's . . . it's not like I need all of the special treatment."

He shook his head at her, dismissing all that she'd said, and kissed her knuckles, his breath warm against her skin. "Seventeen years is entirely worth all of the celebration. You're my beautiful girlfriend, Skye, and you deserve to be treated."

A nervous chuckle trembled from her chapped lips. "I don't deserve it," she mumbled, biting on her lip--a nervous habit she'd picked up a few years back--and averting her gaze. She couldn't look him in the eyes any longer, not when she knew how easily she'd succumb to his every word if she did. "Thank you for tonight though, Bryan, even if it wasn't nessecary. It's been nice to get out of the house for a little while and just spend some time with you."

"You are too incredibly modest, Skye." He draped his arm around her shoulder and pulled her into him, and the two continued walking again. "I love it," he whispered in her ear as they neared Buxton's under-twenty-one-club, approaching the bouncer standing at the door. "Two passes--one for me, and one for the birthday girl," he told the bouncer, and grinned down at Skye.

She stared straight ahead, watching as the bouncer gave Bryan two passes. "Have a good night," he said, and she couldn't help but notice how rough his voice sounded. It sent a chill running down like cold fingers along her spine.

"Thank you," she whispered around the sudden lump in her throat, ducking her head when she saw the hungry look in the bouncer's eyes. Much to her relief, Bryan pulled her through the entrance before he could notice anything off about the situation.

They walked through the immediate room and took in the oppressing whiff of sweat mixed in with a humid fog. Music blared across the large packed out club, making it hard for hearing. "Nice place, isn't it?" she called out to Bryan over the music, smiling up at him.

"Yeah, a little crowded isn't it?" he called back. "At least we can get some good dancing time in," he added skeptically.

"Sure," she said as she examined the crowded club. Kids overwhelmed the dance floor, rocking along with the music. The bar was accompanied full of drinkers, but there wasn't alcohol except for what a few stragglers brought in. Skye walked away from the crowd of overgrowing people that gathered at the front, Bryan following behind her while his gaze flashed between the dance floor and her.