24. Dark Night {part two}

Chapter Twenty-Four

                                                                    Dark Night

                                                                     Part Two

What happened to Dave and the gang?" Skye asked as she lay beneath Jules, gazing at his flushed face. "Did the police catch them for what they had done? And after everything that had happened, how did you escape?"

    A faraway look crossed his face for a moment before he gathered her hair in his hands and gently guided her up towards his face, leaning in. "They got what they had coming for them: life in prison." He caressed her cheek, gazing intently into her eyes. "And as far as my escape was concerned, they let me go. They didn't have the guts to kill me, too; even though at the time, I'd begged them to do it."

   She caught herself before a gasp could spring from her mouth, biting her lip. "You begged them to take your life?"

   He averted his gaze. "Yes." His voice barely went above a whisper. "I couldn't bear the loss I'd suffered, and thought I wanted to die, to give up. It wasn't until I came back here that I realized I was wrong." He tried to smile, placing a soft kiss on her lips. "It wasn't until I found you that I realized how much I wanted to live."

   She closed her eyes and inhaled, breathing in his scent. He was so close, the feel of his body above her stimulating her senses, the breath on her face sending chills along her arms, everything about their close proximity warming her to the core. "I'm glad you came back, Jules." She pushed herself on her elbows, drawing even closer to him. "I'd be so lost without you."

   He murmured something in response, but it was lost in communication when he nuzzled his face in her neck, leaving small kisses on her tender skin. "Want to go somewhere with me?"

   Skye's heart leaped. "W-what?" she spluttered. "Now?"

   "Yes, now." He pushed himself upright, straddling her waist. "Or tomorrow. Or whenever you'd like." He pulled her hand in his, placed a kiss on her knuckles. "Please just come away with me. We can get away from this town and all of the troubles inside it. At least for a little while."

   Despite herself, she shook her head. "We can't." She sighed mentally. "I mean-not yet. I can't leave Leah right now. She needs me."

   His hopeful expression faltered, replaced by a quivering half smile. "Are you sure? I have a feeling Leah will understand. She trusts me, you know. She trusts me to keep you safe."

   "I know." She sighed, feeling the tug in her heart, tempting her to give in, take a chance, and leave town. But she still couldn't bring herself to do it. "It's just not the right time now, Jules. We can't."

   "You're right," he said, "it's not. Maybe we can wait awhile, until you're ready."

   "That sounds great." A smile graced her lips. "Thank you."

   "Anything for you, Trouble," he murmured, nuzzling her neck again. "Anything." His fingers tangled through her hair as he breathed her in, his heartbeat thumping against hers. Gingerly he pulled her face towards his, kissed her forehead, and breathed out one long, steady breath. "Skye?"

   "Yes?" she whispered, out of breath from the sweetness of his touch. "What is it?"

   "There's something you should know about Victor, before you let him get too close to you again."

   At the mere mention of Victor's name, her entire body went rigid. Her stomach lurched, heartbeat sped. During the short time she'd interacted with him, she could tell something was a little off with him. She hadn't been able to put a finger on what it was, but she was starting to have an idea-and it made her very uneasy inside.