9. Panicked {part two}

Chapter Nine
Panicked
Part Two

Skye was cleaning her room when she heard a knock on the front door. Snapping her head towards her doorway she frowned, who's here? She asked herself. She hadn't told Jules to come back over and Rachel wasn't the kind of person to stop by often without calling ahead.

Tossing a blanket on the bed, she scrambled out of her room and down the stairs, anxiety brewing inside of her. She looked into the peep hole and sighed. It was Maria.

Opening the door, she felt her anxieties slip away as annoyance took its place. "What do you want?" She asked Maria wearily.

Maria's smile dropped a little, "Is Johnny home?" She countered, feigning a smile again.

"No, he's not." Skye mumbled, leaning her head against the side of the door and regarding Maria with a look of slight distress. She hated seeing the girl that Johnny obviously had a secret thing with, it just made her hate Johnny even more. He had so much power over her and she wished he hadn't. "You do know that he's married, right?"

She laughed a little at Skye, "Of course I know that he's married."

Skye tried not to gawk at her and stood up, suddenly very uncomfortable. "That doesn't bother you at all? He's not married to you."

"You could say that it bothers me, but we have something. It's not a big deal."

"Well, he's not here, so you should probably just go." Skye didn't want to be rude, but she couldn't stand to look at Maria for very long.

"Okay, you're right, I should. Sorry for being a bother, I'll just call him." She chimed in, smiling as she turned to leave.

"It wasn't a problem."

"Goodbye," Maria turned back for a moment. "When he gets back just tell him that everything's fine with me, I already saw the doctor."

Skye's heart jumped into frenzy for a moment and her mouth threatened to drop. "D—doctor?" She stammered.

"Yes, thank you." Maria replied, turning away from Skye and heading back towards her car.

Skye tried to protest and bring her back, but she stopped herself mid-sentence, shutting her mouth. She closed herself back inside the house and leaned against the door, sighing. What could she possibly need to tell him about? Why did she go see a doctor? She tried to deliberate between any possible answer she could to those questions, but she couldn't resolve anything. The questions were unsolvable in her own mind—she needed to find the answers out from Johnny, indirectly.

She thought of the many times Johnny had freaked out when she had gone into his office for something, and that's when she got an idea to figure out the truth. He had gotten angry all of those times not because he wanted his space, but because he was hiding something, and she was going to find out what that was.

Building up the courage, she mounted the stairs and ventured down the hall to the "forbidden" office. She had time before he would get home and that was her only chance at it.

Twisting the doorknob, she sucked in a breath, hoping that the door was unlocked. To her surprise, it was. She let out the breath and closed her eyes for a moment, her nerves jumping to high alert just as they always did when she did something that could jeopardize her safety. He's not here; he's not going to see me. She reminded herself, saying the words repeatedly in her head.