16. Aftermath {part two}

A/N. Listen to the song on the side! Because for one, it's beautiful, and two, because my friend pointed out that it pretty much fits how Skye feels towards Bryan and Jules, now. Even if the context or meaning of the song may be meant for something else, just think about the lyrics relating to Bryan and Jules; I believe it fits. (: 

---

                                                                        Chapter Sixteen

                                                                              Aftermath

                                                                               Part Two 

Despite her nerves, Skye smiled, thought about what Rachel had said. It seemed too good to be true to think like that, to think that she could have a second chance with him. She only wanted for it to work out between them, though. If one thing was for sure, her feelings towards him were more than she could handle. They thrived in a good way, one that knocked on the door to her heart and jiggled the handle. 

   Before she could even think about it, she was on her feet, throwing herself at Jules. She wrapped her arms around his stiff body, curling into him and wanting to never let go. Breathing in his scent, she sighed and felt a pang of unbelievable warmth suffocate her. She felt his body release the stiffness, arms falling around her, and leaned closer to him. His warmth, so strong and safe, overwhelmed her cold and shaky body, releasing any insecurity she felt. And she liked the feeling, it was intoxicating, in the best way. 

   "I'm so sorry," she sobbed. The sound of her voice was muffled in his shirt, but she didn't care. She only needed to get the words out, before, guilt-ridden, she did something more she would regret. "I didn't want to hurt you; I never wanted to hurt you."  

   "Skye, it's okay, don't do this to yourself," he told her in a hushed tone, brushing his fingers gingerly through her hair. He was holding her then, in that moment, his gentle touch soothing the hammering beat of Skye's aching heart. 

   Blinking her eyes wide and open, she took a quivering breath. "No," she objected. "It's not okay, Jules. I shouldn't have lied to you,"—she gasped, surprised by why she was admitting to have lied to him—"I led you right into getting shot. Unintentionally maybe, but nevertheless, I pushed you away. Don't you see it, Jules? You never would've gotten hurt if it wasn't for me." 

   She retreated, sunk to the floor, curled away from him. Guilt washed over her like a tidal wave, beating against her brutally. Admitting to the lies cut through her like a knife, peeling away at her very last nerve. He knew, she imagined. He knew she had lied about the way things truly were and should be. 

   A soft brush against her shoulder, the shuffle of someone sitting beside her, broke her away from her thoughts.

   "Please don't," a voice, so quiet and forgiving it seemed to rip right though her spoke. "Don't blame yourself for what happened, Skye. It wasn't you." 

    A pause, sigh. 

   "You may have lied, pushed me away; but I know you were only trying to protect me. Rachel told me everything Bryan warned you about. She only wanted to help. She would have never told me if it could've risked breaking the boundaries of trust. But let me tell you something, Skye," he explained. Pulling her hand in his, he smiled faintly. "It's good she told me; because, now it all makes sense. You've done nothing wrong here, Skye. I could never blame you for what happened—never."